Increase in boot time and shutdown time from version 6, along with weird fan controls
Rammerhead
Reply Quote
System configs first:
System:
Kernel: 6.0.0-13.2-liquorix-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64
compiler: N/A Desktop: Xfce 4.16.0 tk: Gtk 3.24.20 wm: xfwm4 dm: LightDM
Distro: Linux Mint 20.3 Una base: Ubuntu 20.04 focal
CPU:
Quad Core: Intel Core i5-9300HF type: MT MCP arch: Kaby Lake
speed: 2400 MHz min/max: 800/2401 MHz
Root has been partitioned to use BTRFS, and I do have an nVidia card (GTX-1650 MaxQ variant, I use nVidia's drivers).

So, I'm posting this quite late, but there's been an issue that I had been facing in all kernels that released from version 6. The kernel just before 6 worked perfectly fine for me (the last one being 5.19.0-16.2).

My system used to boot up pretty fast after going through the GRUB menu (5 to 10 seconds post-GRUB), but with the update, it increased to about 15 to 20 seconds. Fortunately, I prefer showing SystemD's output during the boot process (which you can enable by removing the quiet and splash parameters in GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT in /etc/default/grub), and I noticed that it takes its time with starting LightDM, which is weird because it used to start pretty quick earlier. Then, shutdowns started taking more time. For whatever reason, it's waiting for a stop job for LightDM (taking 10 seconds), while earlier it used to shut down almost instantly.

Now, those are just the issues with shutdown and boot. The other quirk that used to happen was the fan controls on my system. With the older kernel versions, my fan speeds were predictable: They'd turn high mostly when there was load on the CPUs (such as when compiling). But with the newer kernels, the fans would randomly turn on and off when the system was at idle, and they never went full speed whenever I compiled (which would predictably put CPU usage at 100%).

However, these issues fixed themselves from kernel version 6.0.0-13.2 (I'm currently using this one, as I type. I'll be sending status aof the newer kernel versions soon). Regardless, I wanted to create this thread to let you guys know that this issue did exist, and just to give a heads up (perhaps if similar issues turn out to exist for someone else).
techAdmin
Reply Quote
This is probably systemd, not related to Liquorix at all. Systemd hangs and delays are notorious and legendary, and are actually one of the main reasons I stopped shutting down/booting and switched to suspend/hibernate.

Since it's mint it's unlikely your systemd version changed much if at all during this time.

Fan speed stuff is also complicated, and might or might not be kernel related, but that would probably be in the vanilla kernel and its related drivers, not Liquorix, that would be my guess, unless some optimization in liquorix had a short term negative interaction with systemd/fan speed drivers.