system hangs on halt or reboot
dark-D
Reply Quote
hello, i have a problem and i need some help on it. i don't think it's kernel related but who knows. i run debian sid with the latest liquorix kernel and when i shutdown or restart the system doesn't complete them. it goes from tty7 (gui) to tty1 and i see a login screen. on tty7 the output for halt is shown with stopping alsa or stopping slim (5-6 lines) and does nothing. sometimes if i press the poweroff on the laptop(at this stage) the system goes in halt and completes it. my question is can someone point me to a way on debug it? i had a look at the syslog but couldn't figure out something.

:: Code ::
System:    Host: hell Kernel: 3.6.0-7.dmz.1-liquorix-686 i686 (32 bit) Desktop: Fluxbox 1.3.2 Distro: antiX
Machine:   System: LENOVO (portable) product: 89329WU version: ThinkPad R61/R61i
           Mobo: LENOVO model: 89329WU Bios: LENOVO version: 7OETC3WW (2.23 ) date: 05/12/2009
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core2 Duo CPU T5250 (-MCP-) clocked at 1000.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (primary)
           X.Org: 1.12.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1280x800@60.0hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel 965GM x86/MMX/SSE2 GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 8.0.5
Network:   Card-1: Broadcom NetLink BCM5787M Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express driver: tg3
           Card-2: Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG [Golan] Network Connection driver: iwl3945
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 120.0GB (53.3% used)
Info:      Processes: 96 Uptime: 14 min Memory: 262.7/999.1MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 1.8.23

unfortunately the system also has the following packages from experimental: dunsts, geeqie, grub2, localepurge, mc, moc, pmount, suckless-tools and transmission. just to let you know i also tried 2 different login managers slim and lightdm. thank you very much for future help.
Re: system hangs on halt or reboot
mich
Reply Quote
:: dark-D wrote ::
i don't think it's kernel related but who knows.

Well, have you tried another kernel...?
Re: system hangs on halt or reboot
dark-D
Reply Quote
:: mich wrote ::
:: dark-D wrote ::
i don't think it's kernel related but who knows.

Well, have you tried another kernel...?

he. i'm so used to the liquorix kernel that it slipped my mind to try a regular debian kernel. yes, i did tried with the 3.2.0-4 debian kernel and i noticed the same behavior. also to try and narrow down the packages that maybe are to blame, i downgraded initscripts, libc6, libc-bin, sysvinit, sysvinit-utils and sysv-rc but i still get the same result. some advices are welcomed.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
I had a similar problem once, but I can't remember what fixed it.

For kicks, try this: boot into no x, runlevel 2. If it boots to runlevel 2 default for x, start, and without logging in, kill x and just be in a tty terminal. Make sure to kill slim, slim is buggy, or was. Once you have verified that neither X or slim are running: do: service slim stop
though I don't remember if slim is a service, check and see.

Also do: ps aux | grep -E '(X |slim)'
to make sure that both are off. Ignore the result for grep itself, of course.

Then do: shutdown
and see if it shuts down, also try: reboot

if both work as expected, that's a data point though I am not sure what it means, but I have faint memories of this issue.
dark-D
Reply Quote
i tried with /etc/init.d/slim stop and via smxi to shutdown x and reboot and shutdown works. to take it further i installed nodm and shutdown and reboot works really quick like it used to work. the sad part is that nodm boot directly to desktop and my laptop is exposed. but i will play around with it and i think i'll use the laptop bios password or fingerprind reader for security. the sad part is that lightdm didn't worked as well. thanks for suggestions and will try to sort it out.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
give xdm a try, that's a pretty light login manager, that's what I use on my old 200mghz 1 gigabyte hdd laptop, it works well, and will give the security. If you want it more full featured, use gdm3, but that has a lot more dependencies.