Page: 1, 2  Next

Does Liquorix kernel support any of virtualization?
Mofforg
Reply Quote
Hello.

I wanna to run virtual machines on the server with fantastic Liquorix kernel. But openvz, xen, kvm requires to modify kernel.

Does liquorix kernel support any of virtulization (in kernel)?

My preffered virtualization is OpenVZ. So here's a question: Is that possible to add virtulization for example (openvz) to the Liquorix kernel [It called vz-patch]?

I think, that add openvz support will not impact perfomance. (i hope so)

In my view adding openvz support is to add 'openvz_support = true' to the kernel's config.

Thanks in advance.
damentz
Reply Quote
OpenVZ requires a very old kernel, something that you'll probably end up running with a RHEL6 compatible distro or something running kernel 2.6.32.

As far as xen and kvm go, I've already enabled everything that requires para-virtualization and is compatible with kvm/xen utilities. If there's something else that I need added or configured, let me know and I'll figure it out.
Mofforg
Reply Quote
So - Liquorix kernel now supports Xen and KVM? And OpenVZ is old and because of it you don't add support for OpenVZ?
techAdmin
Reply Quote
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenVZ

:: Quote ::
CPU scheduler

The CPU scheduler in OpenVZ is a two-level implementation of fair-share scheduling strategy.

On the first level, the scheduler decides which container it is to give the CPU time slice to, based on per-container cpuunits values. On the second level the standard Linux scheduler decides which process to run in that container, using standard Linux process priorities.

It is possible to set different values for the CPUs in each container. Real CPU time will be distributed proportionally to these values.

Strict limits, such as 10% of total CPU time, are also possible.
I/O scheduler

Similar to the CPU scheduler described above, I/O scheduler in OpenVZ is also two-level, utilizing Jens Axboe's CFQ I/O scheduler on its second level.

Each container is assigned an I/O priority, and the scheduler distributes the available I/O bandwidth according to the priorities assigned. Thus no single container can saturate an I/O channel.

from the little I know and understand, this seems like it might create major issues with zen/liquorix, which uses generally an optimized scheduler, not always, but usually.

However, I don't really understand this stuff so I'll leave it at that.

However, I will note one thing, you seem to have misread what damentz said, he said that there was openvz support only in older kernels, whether that's correct or not I don't know.
Mofforg
Reply Quote
:: techAdmin wrote ::
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenVZ

:: Quote ::
CPU scheduler

The CPU scheduler in OpenVZ is a two-level implementation of fair-share scheduling strategy.

On the first level, the scheduler decides which container it is to give the CPU time slice to, based on per-container cpuunits values. On the second level the standard Linux scheduler decides which process to run in that container, using standard Linux process priorities.

It is possible to set different values for the CPUs in each container. Real CPU time will be distributed proportionally to these values.

Strict limits, such as 10% of total CPU time, are also possible.
I/O scheduler

Similar to the CPU scheduler described above, I/O scheduler in OpenVZ is also two-level, utilizing Jens Axboe's CFQ I/O scheduler on its second level.

Each container is assigned an I/O priority, and the scheduler distributes the available I/O bandwidth according to the priorities assigned. Thus no single container can saturate an I/O channel.

from the little I know and understand, this seems like it might create major issues with zen/liquorix, which uses generally an optimized scheduler, not always, but usually.

However, I don't really understand this stuff so I'll leave it at that.

However, I will note one thing, you seem to have misread what damentz said, he said that there was openvz support only in older kernels, whether that's correct or not I don't know.

I understand, but i want to use new kernels. And it seems that i need OpenVZ support. But I also want Liquorix kernel to be on my machine and at all OpenVZ VM's.

I am searching for Virtualization which will be share kernel on all VM's. And i find only OpenVZ.

Damentz, can you add OpenVZ support to new Liquorix kernel?
damentz
Reply Quote
OpenVZ only support 2.6.32, there's no way I'm going to try forward porting that to 3.5. I mean, 13 versions behind upstream, OpenVZ kind of shot themselves in the foot by doing that.
Mofforg
Reply Quote
:: damentz wrote ::
OpenVZ only support 2.6.32, there's no way I'm going to try forward porting that to 3.5. I mean, 13 versions behind upstream, OpenVZ kind of shot themselves in the foot by doing that.

Hmm. Try, pls. I like OpenVZ very much. And with BFS it should works fine. At least other applications on the real server, except VM's.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
He's not going to try, 2.6.32 is ancient, and openvz is clearly not interested in supporting current branch of kernels, only the biggest frozen pool commercial linux, like redhat 6, debian stable, maybe ubuntu ltr.

So it's not related to damentz, you need to contact openvz and see if they will move support to newer kernels, I talked to damentz about this, and he said that company has zero interest in supporting anything other than the biggest commercial releases, mainly redhat.

So this is something that is not damentz problem, sorry, you have to talk to openvz themselves and see what they say about releasing support for new kernels. And that's continuous support, but they won't do that, I've followed vmware for years, and they never support new kernels, though sometimes people in the vmware forums release patches to make stuff work on newer kernels, but that's not related to the kernels, it's a patch on the vmware software itself, and it's not going to happen with liquorix, I can promise you that.

But try talking to openvz themselves and see what they are doing, what you are trying to do is not, repeat not, what they they are interested in supporting, so you need to probably adjust your expectations to fit reality.
khades
Reply Quote
currently only KVM is compiled into kernel.

Neither Xen nor Vserver patches are applied to the kernel, making that type of virtualisation unavailable.

LXC is unavailable due to the same issue you mentioned - other scheduler.
Mofforg
Reply Quote
techAdmin, OpenVZ is great technology. It's not old. There are new version, which are really good and for by my opinion is much better than xen or kvm.

Can you at least make one kernel with openvz support or how can i make it myself (how to add openvz support to Liquorix kernel)?

www.parallels.com/uk/products/server/baremetal/sp/
Last update - september 2012.

Here you can see that this project is alive. download.openvz.org/debian/dists/wheezy/

Why not to include OpenVZ into Liquorix?
Page: 1, 2  Next