idiot does not understand kernel numbering
aus9
Reply Quote
yep I am the idiot anyhow when I try this download command

apt-get install linux-image-liquorix-686

I get the top line as this
:: Code ::

Get:1 http://liquorix.net/debian/ sid/main linux-image-3.4.0-3.dmz.1-liquorix-686 i386 3.4.0-5 [28.7 MB]

I can't work out why 3.4.0-3.dmz.1 belongs to the 3.4.0-5 family. I would have guessed 3.4.0-3

any clues?

cheers
damentz
Reply Quote
Lets split out the numbers

3.4.0-5: 3.4.0-3.dmz.1

3.4.0-5 is the package version. According to your output, you're on the 5th revision of the package. The package can be updated independently if I'm going to be changing other things like the configuration, package scripts, or adding non kernel version related patches.

3.4.0-3.dmz.1 means that you are using a package based on the 3.4.0 kernel source. 3.dmz.1 is the stable kernel patch revision, plus any revisions I have made. You can see that I have not done anything new since the 3rd stable patch was released. If I were to change something and the stable kernel version remains the same, I would increment the last number by 1. This would provide you with 3.dmz.2.

The whole 'dmz' thing in the middle was actually started with Sidux when it was first released. Stefan (slh) put his name in the kernel string for who knows why - maybe it looked crowded and he wanted to pimp himself, I don't know. When I forked his package, I kept the same versioning scheme thinking that someone would also fork Liquorix and want to put their initials in the kernel version. Well, no one does that so it's an old useless feature. No reason to remove or keep it, so I don't change it.

Secret Note: 'dmz' are not my initials, it's just 'damentz' without a, e, n, or t.
aus9
Reply Quote
thankyou for your patience and illumination