Debian testing vs Antix
ckosloff
Reply Quote
I am pondering to what OS move my production system.
I have been using aptosid so far and, yes, I have read all the controversies.
I don't wish to add to that, I just don't think that Sid is meant for a production system, no matter how "apt" you try to make it.
But once I load a production system with all the customizations that I need, I don't want to reload system for a long time.
So I need a stable rolling distro, as stable as can be.
My choices are limited: I don't like the overlay that Mint puts on Debian testing, it is not for me, although I have nothing but respect for that distro, its progress has been awesome.
I could go to Debian testing native, load the Liquorix kernel and pin some programs (like playonlinux) that I need on the cutting edge, to Sid.
Finally, there is Antix, also based on Debian testing with some nice customizations of its own, so I've heard.
Please note that I intend to continue using Sid, just not for production.
Anybody want to share their experiences to help me with my choice?
ckosloff
Reply Quote
I will reply to myself, because this post is already becoming obsolete.
Things weren't complicated enough that a new sid-based distro was born: siduction.org.
It is a fork from aptosid, lead by a disaffected team member: Ferdi Thomes (devil).
Other prominent ex-members/users are there, like vibora and towo.
Check distrowatch or their website for more info.
Siduction is German-based, but there is also Semplice, an Italian-based distro based on Sid also.
There is another attempt to track Sid with the Liquorix kernel in the Linux Mint forums.
Wow! This is why I am seriously thinking of using Debian native, Sid-based, with the Liquorix kernel and the smxi scripts.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
If you want a long term install that is rolling release and not unstable, which sid most certainly is, unstable that is, by definition, then why not skip the derivatives and just use Debian Testing? It's a one time install, I usually use smxi to build the initial system using the various package tools, from the absolutely barebones no x no desktop no extra packages debian advanced install, as you can find directions for on the smxi focused forums.

I see little to gain from using derived distros long term, sure you can add their repos if they have stuff you want, but except for the initial install time savings, which is just about 45 minutes or less after you have to upgrade the installation disk anyway, since Debian installs the actual live apt stuff when you use the advanced no x install method.

There are a few tweaks that for example siduction will use that I like, in terms of default apt preferences and user defaults which would be nice to document clearly so that anyone could roll their own without too much bother, debian defaults are often quite poor.

antix is a nice distro, I like it, but I prefer straight debian now after my various misadventures with sidux/kanotix and those. Mepis itself is too far from debian to be trusted as a rolling release. As may now be lmde by the way, it's core devs left and are now running their own new one, which will be based on stable with a pool of updated packages.
ckosloff
Reply Quote
Thanks for answer.
I think that you are right, but I will still mess around with Sid in another computer.
I think that is the way to go, to have two separate systems.
I am aware of your misadventures, and those of several others, with Sidux/Aptosid.
I am under the impression that the distro is in frank decline, I cannot even install it on a new computer because it is so old that updates will probably break system, and no hint of a new release.
Everything is very quiet: the website, the forums, even the IRC.
I am curious about what siduction will do, will ask in their forums.
I will have to read more on smxi before proceeding with the install of Debian Testing in text mode, I might be posting more questions.
All this is new to me, so please bear with me.
Will also post questions on Apache as a local dev server, that is my main reason for looking for a stable rolling distro, I need to publish websites.
Finally, MERRY CHRISTMAS!!
ckosloff
Reply Quote
Just one more question on this thread, since everything is pretty much answered.
"debian advanced install, as you can find directions for on the smxi focused forums."
Mind posting a link to that, please?
techAdmin
Reply Quote
debian testing business card install how-to

Most of those steps haven't changed much and I have not checked them for a long time, because when you install real debian rolling you don't then reinstall, you just upgrade, maybe fix a few glitches during the upgrade, and stop worrying about distro releases and what derived distro x or y is doing today.
ckosloff
Reply Quote
I cannot agree more, that is why I am moving to Debian testing, with Liquorix kernel and your scripts.
There is stuff on the business card install on Debian forums too.
I will keep a machine on Sid though, need to see which package I will pin on testing.
I don't think that I will need much Sid on a production machine.
My next question will be how to install the defaults you like in aptosid/siduction in Debian native, but that is a different thread.
Will ask lots of questions in the coming days, please bear with me, and thanks for answering on a Christmas Sunday.