dpkg package state codes: ii rc hi what they mean?
techAdmin
Reply Quote
Found a nice complete web page that listed the dpkg package status codes we see when we run for example this, to seee what xserver packages are installed, and their status:
:: Code ::
dpkg -l | grep xserver
ii  x11-xserver-utils                         7.6+3                            X server utilities
ii  xserver-common                            2:1.10.2-1                       common files used by various X servers
ii  xserver-xorg                              1:7.6+7                          X.Org X server
ii  xserver-xorg-core                         2:1.10.2-1+b1                    Xorg X server - core server
ii  xserver-xorg-input-evdev                  1:2.6.0-2+b1                     X.Org X server -- evdev input driver
ii  xserver-xorg-input-kbd                    1:1.6.0-3                        X.Org X server -- keyboard input driver
ii  xserver-xorg-input-mouse                  1:1.7.0-4                        X.Org X server -- mouse input driver
ii  xserver-xorg-video-vesa                   1:2.3.0-7                        X.Org X server -- VESA display driver

:: Quote ::
First character: The possible value for the first character. The first character signifies the desired state, like we (or some user) is marking the package for installation

u: Unknown (an unknown state)
i: Install (marked for installation)
r: Remove (marked for removal)
p: Purge (marked for purging)
h: Hold

Second Character: The second character signifies the current state, whether it is installed or not. The possible values are

n: Not- The package is not installed
i: Inst – The package is successfully installed
c: Cfg-files – Configuration files are present
u: Unpacked- The package is stilled unpacked
f: Failed-cfg- Failed to remove configuration files
h: Half-inst- The package is only partially installed
W: trig-aWait
t: Trig-pend

Let’s move to the third character
Third Character: This corresponds to the error state. The possible value include

R: Reinst-required The package must be installed.