if it shows something like:
/var/lib/dmakms
show me: ls /var/lib/dmakms
if you see
/var/lib/dkms
show me: ls /var/lib/dkms

Also show this, if present:
cat /etc/default/dmakms

maybe there's something changed, or different paths, I don't know. In the old days I cared about small distros that deviate from debian standard methods, but I don't anymore.

---------------

here is the output of what you asked for ...:

nvidia-installer log file '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log'
creation time: Mon Apr 11 20:04:26 2011
installer version: 260.19.44

.... (edited out unneeded log output - moderator)
techAdmin
Reply Quote
Actually, you didn't show me a single thing I asked for.

You have to run the commands then show me their output. I did NOT ask to see the nvidia log.
x3dre
Reply Quote
I switched to this debian kernel instead 2.6.38-2-686 #1 SMP Thu Apr 7 05:24:21 UTC 2011 i686 GNU/Linux

Presto everything works again...

There must be a problem somewhere with slh kernels, that my kde gui would not start...

Do I tell him that?

Do you want to still see the output of what you asked for ?

Kind Regards
techAdmin
Reply Quote
Another thread pointed out that slh kernels are breaking nvidia, he knows that already.

They should have just told you that, since they knew this fact already.

The aptosid guys seem to really take pride in being as unpleasant as humanly possible, and in driving away as many users as humanly possible.

Since this appears to be their primary goal. I can only wish them greater success in that effort.
x3dre
Reply Quote
That is a silly thing to do as it's a great spin off from Debian :o

Why do this and cause unnecessary headaches for people ... !! ??
techAdmin
Reply Quote
This is why I left the project, it's not possible to actually talk to the core guys anymore, and slh is one of the worst.

What's sad is he was very nice when the project started, sidux, very open, very excited, very communicative, he used to ask me to insert fixes all the time into smxi etc, something he pretended later not to have done.

To me sidux/aptosid is a typical free software project ruined by a few toxic individuals and also by a fondness for making and enforcing rules. Not my idea of freedom or anything positive, but that's life.

Remember, freedom and openness don't mean anything if you don't actually practice these behaviors in your real life, and among your project members and users. Otherwise it's just an empty meaningless shell, spinning around a likewise empty dream of literal adherence to open source rather than freedom. The warning signs with these guys were always there, their secret irc dev channel, their secret team members only forums, and so on, and their total failure to ever release publicly discussions and decisions.

Live and learn.
drb
Reply Quote
:: Quote ::
Another thread pointed out that slh kernels are breaking nvidia, he knows that already.

nvidia seem to have 'solved' that with 270.41.03

:: Code ::
infobash -v3
Host/Kernel/OS  "hypnos32" running Linux 2.6.38-3.slh.5-aptosid-686 i686 [ sidux 2010-01 Ύπνος - kde-full - (201006131622) ]
CPU Info        2x AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5600+ 1024 KB cache flags( sse3 ht nx lm svm ) clocked at [ 2800.000 MHz ]
Videocard       nVidia G73 [GeForce 7600 GS]  X.Org 1.9.5  [ 1680x1050@50.0hz ]
Network cards   nVidia MCP55
Processes 149 | Uptime 13min | Memory 343.9/3295.8MB | HDD WDC WD3200AAKS-0,WDC WD5000AAKS-0,WDC WD6400AAKS-0,WDC WD15EADS-00P Size 2960GB (37%used) | GLX Renderer GeForce 7600 GS/PCI/SSE2/3DNOW! | GLX Version 2.1.2 NVIDIA 270.41.03 | Client Shell | Infobash v3.35

x3dre
Reply Quote
So what operating system are you using instead of aptosid ?

As obviously if they want to practice stuff like this, then it's going to annoy many of it's users, that go around in circles, try to use something useful, without a restriction or near EULA.. :o
techAdmin
Reply Quote
aptosid isn't an operating system. Debian is an operating system. Aptosid has a few packages in its repo, and the kernels. It's another repackaging of Debian with some adjustments to the defaults, some of which I think should be the standard debian defaults, by the way.

I don't personally reinstall operating systems unless they die, so I use whatever I am running on the system.

So I have: a 2006-1 install of sidux, running kde 3.5 but fully upgraded otherwise, that's Sid in other words.

I have a 2007-1 install of sidux, with sidux stuff removed, and downgraded to Debian Testing, so that's Testing.

Then I have some Lenny stuff running as well. All debian though.

For friends who need a quick OS installed, I use LMDE, debian mint, that is. I do not believe that running Sid is a good idea for most users since it's not possible to do it safely unless you use a tool like smxi over time, unless you are a skilled user who tracks things carefully and applies required fixes.

LMDE installer has some bugs, but since you only need to install Debian Testing one time per box, those bugs are just a one time fix (broken /etc/fstab creator is the main issue).

LMDE does what most users want out of the box, and is based on Testing, which is what Debian recommends regular users run. The solution to the single problem with using Testing is to create a small repo and build packages from Sid in it when they offer a fix or feature that the Testing version doesn't have, or when Testing doesn't get that package. That's literally the only thing any distro based on testing needs in order to achieve a reasonably stable user experience on a rolling release distro.
aus9
Reply Quote
:: Quote ::
I do not believe that running Sid is a good idea for most users since it's not possible to do it safely unless you use a tool like smxi over time, unless you are a skilled user who tracks things carefully and applies required fixes.

I have been using smxi faithfully for yonks but would consider myself still a non-expert relative to you and others.

Instead I think newbies will survive on sid running smxi but using partimage as a secondary backup for those times they become the first to be caught by a new file change.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next