Help for use Liquorix kernel in Brazilian distribution.
bigbruno
Reply Quote
Hello, I'm the developer of a Brazilian distribution (www.biglinux.com.br).

It is based on Ubuntu and has several improvements primarily aimed at our country.

Mainly our schools have many obsolete computers and the kernel liquorix will help improve the use of these.

But we also have many users with recent computers and more than 3GB of RAM.

So I need to provide a compilation with PAE support.

Unfortunately the build from the source code available for 2.6.36-1.dmz.1-liquorix-686 is not working properly.

It would be possible to pass a version available PAE or see whether the source is not corrupted?

The compilation occurs normally, but does not effect boot, right after Grub screen goes black and the keyboard stops responding, no error reporting.

Congratulations for your work, performs tests on many compilations of kernel and none is as efficient as liquorix.

Sorry for spelling errors, do not understand English well.
bigbruno
Reply Quote
I compiled the kernel liquorix in a Debian install and function correctly.

With BigLinux and Ubuntu did not work properly, it might be some flaw in the GCC, because both use the same build of GCC.
damentz
Reply Quote
Hi bigbruno,

There are many differences in Debian's and Ubuntu's kernel packages that make it difficult for me to support Ubuntu. It's almost magic that my packages even boot in Ubuntu.

I was hoping that someone that is experienced with packaging software for Ubuntu could maintain a version that uses the same configuration and patches available at liquorix.net/sources/. Unfortunately, this has not happened yet.
bigbruno
Reply Quote
I think a little differently about it.

Its packaging worked very well, just found two problems.

The ureadahead not work, but it was enough to apply the patch I sent on another topic.

And a clash with Plymouth that was resolved as follows:

A file postinst:

:: Code ::
#!/bin/sh -e

case "$1" in

configure)

if [ "$(dpkg-divert --list /usr/share/initramfs-tools/scripts/init-bottom/plymouth)" = "" ]
        then
           dpkg-divert --package bigcontrolcenter-themes-plymouth --divert /usr/share/initramfs-tools/scripts/local-bottom/plymouth2 --rename /usr/share/initramfs-tools/scripts/init-bottom/plymouth
   fi

if [ "$(dpkg-divert --list /usr/share/initramfs-tools/scripts/init-top/plymouth)" = "" ]
        then
           dpkg-divert --package bigcontrolcenter-themes-plymouth --divert /usr/share/initramfs-tools/scripts/local-bottom/plymouth1 --rename /usr/share/initramfs-tools/scripts/init-top/plymouth
   fi

update-initramfs -u
   fi
   ;;

abort-upgrade|abort-deconfigure|abort-remove|install)
   ;;

*)
   echo "$0 called with unknown argument \`$1'" 1>&2
   exit 1
   ;;
esac

A file postrm:

:: Code ::
#!/bin/sh -e

case "$1" in
    remove)
      dpkg-divert --package bigcontrolcenter-themes-plymouth --rename --remove /usr/share/initramfs-tools/scripts/init-bottom/plymouth
      dpkg-divert --package bigcontrolcenter-themes-plymouth --rename --remove /usr/share/initramfs-tools/scripts/init-top/plymouth

update-alternatives \
      --remove default.plymouth /lib/plymouth/themes/biglinux-logo/biglinux-logo.plymouth

if which update-initramfs >/dev/null 2>&1
   then
       update-initramfs -u
   fi
   ;;

*)
   echo "$0 called with unknown argument \`$1'" 1>&2
   exit 1
   ;;
esac

bigcontrolcenter-themes-plymouth is the name of the package of settings that I use plymouth BigLinux distribution.

This conflict of plymouth is occurring because of a conflict between the Xorg drivers and the vesafb video and completely locks the PC. But just a brief delay the onset of Plymouth and does not affect system use.

With that lack only provide another 32-bit version with PAE support.

To get used to compile the Debian, Ubuntu does not start the compilation.

Thank you for your attention.
Its kernel is the most optimized've seen that at all times.