apt cache tools
iotaka
Reply Quote
I'm looking for a internal apt cache, I give a short watch on this:

apt-cacher-ng
apt-proxy
apt-cacher

H2, do you use one of this? If yes, which is better?

Thank you.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
I use approx

It works ok, with this major drawback: you can only upgrade one machine against it at a time. It has very non-robust handling of multiple connections, and it's a pain to reset the breaks if you do try to use 2 or more machines at the same time.

The plus is that if you always upgrade only one machine, including running apt update, it works quite well.

I've been using it for a few years, one machine is set as primary, all the others upgrade from it.

Seems solid enough, but definitely not even remotely close to enterprise, let alone even decent sized network, levels of robustness.

But when I looked into all these, it was the best one. I believe apt-proxy is largely deprecated/abandoned though I could be wrong.

By the way, this is what I wrote the switcher tool for. There's also a brief smxi manual item that explains a bit more, plus links to how-to's etc.
iotaka
Reply Quote
Thank you H2 for the answer.

We have a good number of debian lenny installed so some time can happen a simultaneous update (using cron or cssh) so for now we are testing apt-cacher-ng.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
Feel free to post your results and setup information after testing your choice for a few weeks.

The weaknesses take time to reveal themselves, for example, if you never did simultaneous updates from different computers from one approx server, you'd never find the huge holes in its methods, and you'd think it was a great overall solution, when in fact approx is nothing more than a 100% amateur home network apt caching proxy solution. Good for that, but nothing else.
apt-cache Programs
reiner
Reply Quote
In earlier time I used apt-proxy to update our family-pcs.

When I run into problems with it at some point in time I changed to apt-cacher and use that since. No problems to report :-)

Apt-proxy might be ok again but haven't tested it lately. approx I haven't tested yet but might be not useable for me as I sometimes upgrade more than one pc at the same time.

regards
iotaka
Reply Quote
The package in Debian Lenny of apt-cacher-ng has a bug with volatile repository (we use volatile for clamav), to solve we upgrade the VM to squeeze and the new version of apt-cacher-ng seem fix the problem.