Zen VS Liquorix
Stian1979
Reply Quote
What is the real difference?
Is it just a different config file that is used or is there other things like improved source code?
damentz
Reply Quote
Zen is purely the source code, the kernel that you build. However, there is no default configuration, that's why I have a different name since my configuration changes can affect the perceived quality of the Zen Sources.

Also, if the Zen project ever dies or changes it's name, Liquorix will still continue to be named Liquorix, and I'll change the source that I use instead.

Plus, when people report bugs to me, I can find out if it's either my bug or the Zen Kernel bug and try to nail down what to present to the Zen Sources maintainers. This can get things resolved faster too :)
Stian1979
Reply Quote
linux-liquorix-2.6_2.6.33-14.debian.tar.bz2 is the full source of the liquorix included all the patches so I can just do menueconfig and chose my hardware compile and it's all good?
DeepDayze
Reply Quote
:: Stian1979 wrote ::
linux-liquorix-2.6_2.6.33-14.debian.tar.bz2 is the full source of the liquorix included all the patches so I can just do menueconfig and chose my hardware compile and it's all good?

That is source that includes damentz' patches as well as the Zen team's. I believe the config file in the tarball is set to sane defaults by damentz, so if you built a kernel from that source it should be the same as damentz's prebuilt kernel in his repo.
soulfly
Reply Quote
Thanks daments, installed and running your kernel on my sidux install. any suggestions for using smxi to upgrade your kernel and will smxi detect newer rollups?
techAdmin
Reply Quote
From irc.oftc.net channel #smxi factoid: !liquorix-smxi

:: Quote ::
"liquorix-smxi" is :: to add liquorix in smxi, use: super-advanced-kernel-options, which add liquorix sources / set defaults or :: after you add liquorix sources (!liquorix / !liquorix-other) then the next time smxi runs you will see option to install liquorix kernels in advanced kernel install options, just like with your other kernel options. You can set liquorix to be your default kernel in Misc Tweaks advanced options.