sgfxi error?
richb
Reply Quote
Ran sgfxi as I have many times to get the latest nVidia driver for my 8400m G. It went through the entire process and for the first time ended wih an error. I do not remember the exact phrasing but the menu, restart desktop, etc., did not appear. However the driver appears to be installed according to the nVidia server tool. Thoughts?

My thought is that it installed and the failure had to do only with generating the menu.

Acer core duo laptop running 64 bit Mepis 8.0, 2.6.31-1-amd64 #1 SMP kernel. (Actually Canteras, a Mepis derivative)
Reply Quote
You have to give some details. Distro, level, type, etc. Which type of driver install? if: sgfxi
then just look at the sgfxi logs: /var/log/sgfxi/sgfxi.log
and it will show you the error. The error will be the error reported by the nvidia installer, which itself has an install log with more errors. If you were using sgfxi -s, then the error is in the debian/ubuntu packaging, and that's not an sgfxi issue.
richb
Reply Quote
Distro as stated in previous post Mepis 8.0 64 bit. sgfxi no paramters. nVidia driver Linux-x86_64
(version: 190.53) Log error message

ERROR: Unable to open '/usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so' for
reading (No such file or directory)

Received signal SIGSEGV; aborting.
Function: apply_module_patch - Primary: Start
Args: post
Function: apply_module_patch - Primary: End
ERROR: (245) The nvidia installer exited with the error: 139
techAdmin
Reply Quote
Well, the error seems clear enough, couldn't find that file for reading.

I'm wondering if you may have hard disk damage, you might want to double check that before spending too much more time on this nvidia installer error.

If the disk is fine, if the file is present, but still causing the file not readable error (which could happen if for example disk corruption occurred, ie, the file itself is present but is corrupted due to data loss), then I'd try to find out what's going on in your system first before assuming nvidia installer error, the installer appears to me to be working fine, reporting error as it should, exiting, as it should, then sgfxi picks up the error, as it should, and exits, as it should. If only the fglrx installer would work as well, heh....

Use ultimate boot cd or hiren's boot cd to do the full disk scan, takes a few hours with larger disks.

Read this to file an nvidia bug report: www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46678
but only do so after confirming your disk is in good shape, no data loss, etc.
richb
Reply Quote
Thanks for the help. That file is at the proper location. I do not believe it to be a hard disk error, but I will do a check. I was not in any way impugning sgfxi as I have used it extensively and it is a great tool.

In any case the driver did appear to install regardless of the error message. The nVidia X Server Settings tool reports the correct driver as does dmesg. My query was more to determine whether this was a reported or common issue.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
ah, hmm, so the driver is installed when the error occurs, that's actually not good, since it leads to undesired results down the road sometimes. Cleanup stuff is supposed to happen post install, etc.
richb
Reply Quote
Not good news. I guess I will need to wait and see, and make backups.