Fix mozilla's gtk-file-handler.
secipolla
Reply Quote
I appreciate very much the smxi script that makes setting up and maintaining antiX much easier.
Recently I installed swiftfox to see how it would perform comparing to Iceweasel and it's going fine.
I tried too applying the mozilla-tweaks and really was convinced by the 'stupid default file handling' or something like that and dumped the original to install smxi's one. But now I'm having some problems.
First I tried to open the folder of a downloaded file (I use rox-filer) and it couldn't find the folder even though the path was correct (~/Downloads). The default Iceweasel file-handling in this case always worked fine for me.
Then I went to Edit>Preferences>Applications to see how it looked like but there was nothing there and Swiftfox froze (had to kill it from htop).

Some facts:
I purged Iceweasel following the warning that it wasn't a good idea to have two mozilla browsers in the system (I'm not sure if before or after installing Swiftfox).
I gave a look in the system files and found that I have the following browser folders:
/usr/lib/swiftfox (maybe the main folder)
~/.mozilla (the user settings, I guess)
/etc/iceweasel (with a profile sub-folder - extensions and bookmarks - maybe a leftover).

I must say that I'm being able to watch wmv streams with the mplayer plugin fine so I guess it's more like I should fix some settings for the file-handler to work with rox but not being able to open Edit>Preferences>Applications I don't know how to start.

- NEW exoodles RELATED TOPIC: as a side note, I installed mplayer through the exoodles script and all seemed to go fine. As I said I'm watching wmv streams fine and didn't try the standalone player yet.

But I tried to install mozilla-mplayer (which should install the mozilla-plugins) from exoodles and iceweasel was a required dependency, so I aborted. In fact it was demonstrated that it wasn't necessary to install the plugins separately since the mplayer installation dealt with it. But maybe the mozilla-mplayer option could be changed: Why? Because as I can see if one has a mozilla browser then just installing mplayer and the codecs (because mozilla-mplayer installs win32 codecs too) will be the same and if one doesn't have one it will offer to install Iceweasel but then the script could be changed for installing Swiftox+mplayer+win32 codecs instead.
secipolla
Reply Quote
I added the swiftfox repos, did an `dpkg --purge swiftfox-i686' and `apt-get install swiftfox-i686' and now I can see the Applications tab under Preferences.
Maybe it was just coincidence but it seems to be solved.
secipolla
Reply Quote
And I made a mistake about the Rox filer. It's true I used to open it from inside Firefox but that required some tweaking and I saw that in the Puppy Linux forum and used in Puppy.
For antiX I used to open with PcManFM exactly because it worked out-of-the-box.