sidux users only ...be aware of new issues for MOMOS
aus9
Reply Quote
hi

This is a pre-alert to sidux users only. Feel free to correct any errors I perceive. There are 2 main issues that affect me at the moment.

As Momos is pre-final release atm....there may be more important issues but I can only react to what I see being a modest good looking chap that has relied on looks more than brains...heh heh

1) Momos has no default /etc/X11/xorg.conf

I suggest you look at your backup of any non-ati or non-nvidia closed binary config file.

However, you can create one using the system. It may not be the smartest way ...but here is the link.

sidux.com/PNphpBB2-viewtopic-t-18505.html

So before using smxi or relevant script to grab and build a closed source binary xorg....please create the xorg.conf first.

2) Momos does not like rcconf

YMMV

I initially installed rcconf and heaps of my trusty software before attempting any smxi....and used rcconf to disable certain services.

But then on reboot...the system was hanging for over 2 minutes at

...waiting for /dev to populate fully.

IRC suggested I avoid rcconf and they gave me some alternatives

Try at own risk

a) apt-get install bum
www.marzocca.net/linux/bum.html

For the current run level you have booted into...the gui ...bum...can be easily used to stop or start relevant services
Just check or uncheck the box and click apply

b) bum has an advanced button which shows what rcS services are ...on or off but you can not use it ...IMHO to change them

instead...try at own risk....I did some reading an adopted the following way

1) Using root powers rename files in /etc/rsS.d
(or where ever your rcS scripts lie)

from formula

S (number) (descriptor) to
K (100 SUBTRACT above number) (descriptor)

eg s20xxxx becomes K80xxxx

then I ran bum to check if it looked ok

then reboot with crossed legs to test.

regards
techAdmin
Reply Quote
Thanks for the update, I've updated smxi/sgfxi to handle most of the new changes, ie, no /boot/grub/menu.lst in livecd mode, no xorg.conf, sgfxi now has option to run X -configure to create new xorg.conf if it's a supported system.

Will require fne tuning, should be ok for most users I think.