Could not perform immediate configuration (2) on perl
UncleVom
Reply Quote
SMXI apt-get dist-upgrade is trying to install:
libperl5.10 perl perl-base perl-modules perl-suid

I'm getting an error message:
E: Internal Error, Could not perform immediate configuration (2) on perl

This machine is running Debian sid/testing AMD64 with Liquorix kernel and various accumulations of software and this may not be a typical error.

UncleVom
drb
Reply Quote
Others have the same issue. The 'fix' appears to be :

:: Code ::
apt-get dist-upgrade -o APT::Immediate-Configure=0

But don't get caught by the xorg issue that's on 'hold' in smxi
techAdmin
Reply Quote
that's a messy one, my guess is the real fix might be to do: apt-get install perl with those options, as a pre du fix.

Hard to say.

Sid continues to degrade as Debian developers take Debian up on the freedom to insert broken packages into sid and then use sid to debug them over time, rather than doing the bulk of the debugging prior to doing uploads. That's what sid is for by the way, it's just nice when the Debian devs have the luxury of spending more pre-upload testing and debugging, but that luxury you will find harder to justify over the coming years I'm sad to say, due to real life, ie, not in the box but outside it, concerns like food and shelter etc.

However, if someone can test the fix to pre install perl in whatever version it is that breaks with that extra option added, if that fixes it, it can be a pre du fix in smxi I guess.
UncleVom
Reply Quote
Thanks,
apt-get install perl -o APT::Immediate-Configure=0
Prior to running smxi fixes the problem as predicted. :-)

As to the instability of sid, i think it has always had its ups and downs, that is after all why it is called "unstable". I don't know how many times I have tried it over the years, enjoyed it for its freshness and then eventually run away screaming. This seems to happen less these days thanks to exchanges of information like just happened and the smxi scripts which tend to catch things I might have missed and would have possibly caused many lost hours of head scratching.

I have recently been playing with various ?buntu 9.10 alpha releases up to alpha 6, IMHO that is worse than sid for things getting broken, there is only a month for them to pull it all together for release. I suppose it's doable as it really is just a sid snapshot with added confusion. It will be a while before I could recommend trying it though. I can really see why smxi doesn't want to go there.

Marcus
techAdmin
Reply Quote
ok, added pre du perl fix, as above, seems to work with aptitude as well with that syntax.

We'll see how that goes for people.

My guess is just installing it pre du is all that's needed, since that would do the immediate configure anyway.

Bug report and explanation: groups.google.com/group/linux.debian.bugs.dist/browse_thread/thread/df0f05207a7bc953/6a4c1818078ab6ed?lnk=raot