sidux, smxi, install both xfce and kde? - solved
julian516
Reply Quote
I am relatively new to sidux and to smxi. One firm conclusion so far: the smxi script family provides fine tools for managing any Debian distribution on which they will run!

I initially installed sidux 2009.2-xfce. I attempted to use smxi to add kde so that I could choose which of the two desktops to run when sidux boots.

I used smxi to download and install three kde packages, in effect taking every kde choice in smxi.

On rebooting I have a very nice kde logon window, but then xfce takes over and runs the desktop. On my menus I have an interesting mix of xfce and kde applications! Fun, but not quite what I had in mind.

I missed something. Can somebody tell me what it was?

Thank you!

< Edited by julian516 :: Aug 18, 09, 11:21 >

More details would be useful
masinick
Reply Quote
Bill,

I don't know the answer, all I know is what I do; I use the smxi script and install additional desktop and window manager environments according to the available options. Note that there IS a section in smxi that specifically helps to install desktop and window manager components.

Hopefully the experts can provide you with the details. I believe there is a document here somewhere that describes every smxi menu; I know of its existence but do not have the exact location on this site where it can be found. Again, if you have trouble with that, hopefully the real experts will be around soon to answer the questions.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
when you login, you have to change the session to use kde instead of xfce, then it will remember that selection for future logins. That option is in the kdm login screen 'menu' item I believe, or the other option there, I can't remember which one has the change default session option.
julian516
Reply Quote
Thank you sir! We'll give that a go.

If you are right they hid it again right there in plain sight. Works almost every time!
julian516
Reply Quote
That was it!

Oh my, it's a good thing I have fun laughing at me!

And I must say, a darned impressive looking desktop.
Ah, so THAT is what you are asking about!
masinick
Reply Quote
:: julian516 wrote ::
That was it!

Oh my, it's a good thing I have fun laughing at me!

And I must say, a darned impressive looking desktop.

At first I thought that was all it would be, but then I thought, "Nah, Bill will know that!"

Clearly I assumed too much!

Remember, you can find additional desktop and window managers and if you wish, install them all with smxi, then you use the DISPLAY MANAGER (login manager), which can be kdm, gdm, xdm, slim, among the ones that I know. By default, with KDE it is kdm, by default, with XFCE it is gdm.

Use the session selection - the name used will occasionally vary, but given the choices, it is not difficult to find - but you do need to remember to select the type of desktop you intend to use.
aus9
Reply Quote
hi

for those interested, slim is a very easy login manager to configure.

I used it to preset the login name and change the background image.

Bleeding edge I am..lol