sidux & smxi
jakesully
Reply Quote
Hi,
I am trying to get sidux to the full functionality of something like linux mint for multimedia playback like youtube, hulu, dvd movies play/copy for backups, mp3/mp4, etc

Are there newer versions of the scripts that make it easier to add the codecs, etc? I am just not sure what codecs and items I need for this.

Is it best to start with kdelite and then just add what you want or go for the full kde?

I have a new laptop and figured i would give a few of these things another shot since sidux is so good.
jelloir
Reply Quote
smxi will help you install things like flash and java. however they are simple to install anyway.

:: Code ::
apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree sun-java6-plugin

You will need non-free added to your sources.list however.

If you have never used vlc media player you should start. It plays just about any kind of media file available and you don't have to waste time looking for codecs etc. The only extra thing extra you might need is libdvdcss2 for DVD playback see www.videolan.org/vlc/download-debian.html

audacious is also another nice audio player although vlc can basically cover that role now.
GoinEasy9
Reply Quote
True, installing with cli is simple, but, when doing an initial install, it's nice to have everything in the menus, where you can just go down one by one and install things without trying to remember what was installed and what wasn't.
It's sort of an extension to the installer built for ease of use.