Page: 1, 2  Next

Installing testing + smxi + kde4
miks
Reply Quote
I just did an install from the weekly testing business card iso on a testbed machine to check it out and maybe install on my main machine to replace sidux. I unchecked the install desktop etc options at the end of the install and rebooted. I logged in as root and used the usual smxi install line but got this after it successfully downloaded smxi.zip:
:: Code ::

-bash: /usr/local/bin/smxi.zip: permission denied

I used apt-get to install zip unzip no probs.

This is my first attempt at install straight debian, so I am wondering what is going on?
jelloir
Reply Quote
Did you follow the "Installing with smxi.zip" instructions?

smxi.org/site/install.htm#install-with-zip

perhaps post the entire output of the commands you are using.
miks
Reply Quote
Thanks jelloir, it was a typo....

I usually copy and paste the install line but as I had no DE installed, I typed it, badly it seems. Still, I would have expected an error msg from a typo rather than a refusal of permission.

KDE4 installing now.
jelloir
Reply Quote
There's a fix for that :)

apt-get install lynx gpm
lynx http://smxi.org

Navigate to install-scripts - Copy command by selecting with mouse cursor (provided by gpm)
CTRL + ALT F2
Login as root and middle click your mouse to paste
use smxi
miks
Reply Quote
:: jelloir wrote ::
There's a fix for that :)

apt-get install lynx gpm
lynx http://smxi.org

Navigate to install-scripts - Copy command by selecting with mouse cursor (provided by gpm)
CTRL + ALT F2
Login as root and middle click your mouse to paste
use smxi

Ah, another new trick learnt.

Thanks Jelloir.

I have kde4 running now by installing smxi options 9 and 10, BUT, this did give an error message on the login screen of:

“No greeter widget plugin loaded. Check the configuration.” with an OK box. Clicking the OK box leads to KDE exiting to shell.

I found the fix here:
albertech.net/2009/04/kde-how-to-fix-no-greeter-widget-plugin-loaded-error/

It pulls in 76mb of dependancies though, and uses 180mb of hard drive space, so there goes your "lite" install of kde!
jelloir
Reply Quote
You might want to check that apt-get isn't dragging in recommended and suggested packages by default in case its bloating your install unnecessarily.
miks
Reply Quote
:: jelloir wrote ::
You might want to check that apt-get isn't dragging in recommended and suggested packages by default in case its bloating your install unnecessarily.

I used aptitude actually, as I decided to try smxi set up with aptitude. How would that affect things?
techAdmin
Reply Quote
If you are going to use aptitude, then setting up the system and using it from the beginning as package manager is the best way to go.

I'm fairly certain debian comes with one of the command line browsers, I suspect lynx, or elinks, or links2, but I could of course be wrong.

re the missing kde-workspace, that should be installed automatically by smxi kde install for sid/testing, and for the upgrade tool to kde 4.

If it's not, that's a bug, and I'll need to collect information from the system, but I won't be able to get to that for a few days, this weekend probably.
miks
Reply Quote
:: techAdmin wrote ::
If you are going to use aptitude, then setting up the system and using it from the beginning as package manager is the best way to go.

I used apt-get to install zip unzip before I installed smxi, but that's it. I will persist with aptitude on this install and see how it goes. It's only a test box anyway so nothing critical. Let me know if you want any logs etc posting. I only used smxi options 9 and 10. Should one of these have installed kde-workspace?

Kaboom (which I obviously did not need) came in with the kde-workspace stuff.
jelloir
Reply Quote
:: miks wrote ::
I used aptitude actually, as I decided to try smxi set up with aptitude. How would that affect things?

Unless it has changed in Testing/Sid Aptitude will typically install recommends and suggests.

You can either use aptitude with the -R switch or run this command:

touch /root/.aptitude/config
cat > /root/.aptitude/config <<EOF
Aptitude "";
Aptitude::Recommends-Important "false";
Aptitude::Suggests-Important "false";
EOF
aptitude update

Which will prevent recommends and suggests from installing. This is one of the first things I do on a new Stable install (I use aptitude on stable).

Cheers
Page: 1, 2  Next