Is sidux really that much better that sid?
jelloir
Reply Quote
Firstly I have to admit that I cheated a little and basically ripped off all the configs that sidux uses such as /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/80sidux for example and only use apt-get they way the sidux guys recommend it.

But putting that aside is using sid really that much harder that sidux?

I just created my own documentation on setting up a pure sid system using a testing businesscard iso and installing sid and have a tight, lean XFCE install that I'm using right now with no sidux influence.

I understand that sidux has it's own kernel's and fixes for certain packages now and then, but I just popped smxi on and ran it and it feels great.

I should point out that I am not bagging sidux but I would rather not use it (for reasons that everyone should understand).
ancleessen4
Reply Quote
Any chance of getting your docs as I might go down this route?
jelloir
Reply Quote
Sure, happy to share but be warned this is just items I am putting together and should be considered broken and not to be followed by anyone (Hopefully you catch my drift).

www.bitbinary.com/wiki/doku.php?id=debian_sid_xfce_desktop

However if anyone thinks this is worth building on then let me know and others can edit it if they want (currently read only).
GoinEasy9
Reply Quote
@jelloir
If it's easier for you, why don't you just use the sticky that contains the how-to that I wrote using the businesscard install, and just edit it so it contains the steps that you took to install sid, and repost it here. Did you use smxi to install Xfce? I know I'd be interested to see the different steps that you took.

edit: Sorry, reading this on my phone and didn't see the link. I'll read it when I get home.
aus9
Reply Quote
jelloir

You have more Debian skills than me so forgive me for suggesting your link does not need virtualbox to be done manually....smxi will take care of it.

I am currently on sidux but am looking to replace it after the way they treated our techadmin.

So GoinEasy9 and your howto are worthy additions to improve my knowledge. And I am not fazed by disclaimers as I use GPL so accept risk and responsibility.

Having seen a post from someone I admire greatly mentioning AntiX ..Mepis guru also seems to have borrowed some sidux stuff that you might be interesting in seeing?

antix.mepis.org/index.php/Main_Page

Finally I am a node customer myself so really love the unmetered downloads.

regards

gordy aka aus9
GoinEasy9
Reply Quote
@jelloir
I didn't get a chance to read the whole how-to, but, I bow to the master. You did a great job. There are a lot of folks that like sid with Xfce, and our infamous TechAdmin should consider giving the link "sticky" status. Sid/Xfce/smxi - looks like a winner setup. I can't wait to try it.
jelloir
Reply Quote
:: aus9 wrote ::
You have more Debian skills than me so forgive me for suggesting your link does not need virtualbox to be done manually....smxi will take care of it.

Funny thing is that I initially wrote this doco with sidux in mind and during my research came across smxi and realised almost all my documentation was now void lol. There is stuff there that smxi will handle for sure, but for me it was part of my learning to setup a Debian system from scratch and ensure that it only had exactly the packages I wanted, that's how I discovered a few things about how sidux setup their distro.

:: GoinEasy9 wrote ::
I didn't get a chance to read the whole how-to, but, I bow to the master. You did a great job. There are a lot of folks that like sid with Xfce, and our infamous TechAdmin should consider giving the link "sticky" status. Sid/Xfce/smxi - looks like a winner setup. I can't wait to try it.

Thanks for the compliment but I am defiantly no "Master" just a guy looking for a Debian based distro for Desktop usage with up to date packages that isn't Ubuntu or Sidux (oh cr#p I used a capital S).

I love Debian and enjoy using XFCE, it makes me laugh (and sometimes cry) when I have to boot into Windows for work and see how slow Windows are at opening etc.... and that's XP.

The more I started using smxi the more I loved it and then all of a sudden it got rejected by the distro I thought I was going to stick to for the long term. I am trying to learn as much as I can about Linux (Debian) and sidux is a great distro for it but why sidux chose to cripple a support avenue is really strange - I won't be a part of numb-skull decision making like that.

Anyway....

I am happy to collaborate on a document if it benefits people. I am just an average user with a strong interest in Debian so I'm happy to improve my knowledge whilst improving others along the way.

I actually have some other Doco's about setting up various things on Debian.

Do you think it would be better if I just created threads like GoingEasy9 suggested? Perhaps I create my doco for me and post general stuff here.....

Open to suggestions.....

James