Mobility Radeon X2300
steinweich
Reply Quote
Hi,
sgfxi says, that my card is no longer supportet.
But as I understand it, my card should be supportet altough?

thx
techAdmin
Reply Quote
Please post this output:

lspci -nn | grep VGA

and I'll see if there was a detection error.
steinweich
Reply Quote
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: ATI Technologies Inc Mobility Radeon X2300 [1002:718a]
techAdmin
Reply Quote
yes, there were 4 x2xxx cards in the 7xxx numbering series which I'd missed in the list when I created the legacy detection. Otherwise the 7xxx series is now all legacy, thanks, that's been updated now. Try it again, let me know if it works as expected, and of course, if the fglrx driver works with that card.
steinweich
Reply Quote
sgfxi lets me now install the fglrx-driver, but it doesn't suceed.
neither plain sgfxi, nor after smxi with then debian-fglrx option (for debian-kernel 2.6.26-2-686)

ERROR: (194) m-a build failed for package: debian-fglrx

before xorg 1.6 fglrx worked fine for me.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
that confirms my suspicion that all x series cards are no longer supported.

I'll remove those again, thanks for confirming this.

If you need non free drivers, and want to run current linux kernels and xorg, then don't use fglrx or ati, they do not support their hardware very well or for very long compared to nvidia, which for example still supports ancient gforce 2, 4 and 5 series cards, plus some older stuff, on 2.6.30 and xorg 1.6.

Maybe not perfect, but at least the stuff works.

all you can use is radeonhd then: sgfxi -N radeonhd
since you can't change your card I assume, but keep this in mind next time you buy hardware, either get intel for free, settle for whatever free ati/amd supports, or get nvidia if you want full featured non free, there's no other real options.

Also, you have to be aware of what happens with ati in general.

I can't tell you, whatever driver you were using is the one you need to be using if you're running 2.6.26, unless it doesn't support xorg 1.6, then you have to use radeonhd from xorg. sgfxi defaults to latest current, but lets you install a few older ones.

I'm unclear on your last sentence though, do you mean, before the install of xorg 1.6 fglrx worked fine? or you do you mean, before, xorg 1.6 worked fine?

1.6 broke all old drivers, and requires 9-4 or greater, but 9-4 or greater dropped support for all previous xYYYY series and older cards.

And of course, there is no patchable 2.6.30 supporting fglrx at all currently...

Buying ati believing you will ever get quality long term non free driver support is a serious mistake, and a big waste of your money, this situation has not and I believe will never change. In fact, I expect it to get worse. Well, let me correct that, dropping all support for relatively new cards like the xYYYY series, x2xxx, x1xxx cards, is already getting worse, so ati/amd is fulfilling my expectations, but I actually expect things to get even worse, including but not limited to dropping xorg radeonhd developers, more than they already dropped, that is, meaning I expect many ati card users who expected to get full free support to be very disappointed.
steinweich
Reply Quote
before xorg 1.6, the debian-fglrx driver worked fine for me.
since then i went with the radeon driver, which provides acceptable 3d-support for my card, but doesn't recognize my s-video output.
the radeonhd driver, doesn't give me 3d-support (which is bad, cause i love my 3d-desktop and of course some games), but he knows that there's a s-video output (which i'd like to use from time to time)

you may know a way to change drivers easily? - like have both installed and just exchange the xorg.conf or so?

i didn't think much about driver-support back 1 1/2 hears ago, when i bought the notebook (the fact, that ati supportet it at all, was enough) ... i will of course consider this next time ...