fglrx 9.6 & linux 2.6.30
sickie
Reply Quote
Hello.
On phoronix forums someone posted a patch for fglrx 9.6 that should work with Linux 2.6.30 (no patches for the kernel needed). Here's the www.phoronix.com/forums/showpost.php?p=79084&postcount=153
I haven't tested it myself but if sgfxi introduces the support for that patch I'll test it as soon as I can. I use liquorix 2.6.30 because I have one ext4 partition and I'm stuck with 2D now. I hope that this patch would work just as the one for the 2.6.29 kernel did.
sickie
Reply Quote
I already posted about that subject in the Liquorix section, so apologies to techAdmin for post duplication, I should be posting that link in my posts in Liquorix section. I red your response in that other topic just after I made a topic here, so I seen too late that you were not the Liquorix maintainer.
But still, that patch from phoronix forums should be revised :)
Bye and thank you for your patience.

P.S.
:: techAdmin wrote ::
When we get fglrx working on new stuff, which we did on 2.6.29, that's a bonus, but don't expect it.

I don't expect support from you, just show you that patches exist and hope that maybe we, poor ATI users, will get some love. But no problem if we (or better, I, because I can't speak for others) don't get a patched fglrx. Just trying, just trying... :P
techAdmin
Reply Quote
As usual, that patch doesn't work out of the box, I don't feel like wasting more of my sunday on this. Sadly, unlike nvidia, whose patches often come from nvidia directly, and actually work out of the box in almost all cases, the same cannot be said for fglrx stuff, though sometimes you have luck and it actually works.

Tested it, patch applies, module fails to build. I don't care why, that's it. If you find a working patch, let me know.

Tested it on 32 bit.

Since testing, debugging etc each patch takes me about 2 hours, that's about it for now, as I said, fglrx will not be supported unless people make it easy for me, ie, provide tested and working patches, etc.
sickie
Reply Quote
Thank you for trying. Well, I don't know how to test the patch/do the patching, or I would test it myself. I never played with sources and wouldn't know where to begin with this patch.
But, as I said, thank you.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
In general your approach is correct, provide the data required. In this case, however, had you read the rest of the thread, you would have found that while the patch itself is correct, the kernel has to be compiled with a flag turned off. Patches cannot recompile kernels.

If you want to see for yourself, do this: sgfxi -f -! 1

this will override the 2.6.30 fglrx exit, and trigger the patch function for this case.

If you then read the error log it gives the path for on compile failure, you'll see the problem.

Basically, every year, users of cutting edge systems and fglrx can expect to lose fglrx support at least 1.5 months per year, sometimes more. The solution of course is to simply stay 3 or 4 months behind the cutting edge, which for almost all practical cases, is just fine.

The other solution is to use debian kernels and debian fglrx driver package, which you can install via smxi or sgfxi -s
and just leave it alone, upgrading both only when new debian and new debian fglrx drivers appear.