Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next

techAdmin
Reply Quote
vmplayer 2.5.2 just came out, but the patch for 2.5.1 doesn't work perfectly, but in my tests the modules built for both 32 and 64 bit using the old patch, even though it failed in one place.

To try 2.5.2, please start svmi with the testing option 2 flag: -! 2
and it will switch from using 2.5.1 to 2.5.2, and run the patch. The kernel module build for 2.5.2 fails without patching, but at least in 64 bit it works now like in 323 bit.

So for 2.5.2, use: svmi -! 2
and then report any issues or non-issues.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
New feature/option in svmi: now you can rebuild your kernel module in svmi directly. This was enabled by the command line method to build new bundle vmplayer module I just learned while dealing with the patch bug issue for 2.26.29 kernel.

So now you can rebuild modules without using that silly gtk dialogue box, including getting to see all the progress roll by onscreen.

Also, made the uninstall-vmware option also remove the /usr/lib/vmware along with the /etc/vmware directory for total uninstall of / components, I'll add more in there if required.

Note that the install-vmplayer option does NOT remove all components, it just used the native vmplayer uninstaller prior to reinstall feature, which does not remove /etc/vmware or /usr/lib/vmware prior to install.

I have seen only a few issues with this, but if you have issues or bugs, always first try to do the uninstall vmware command first before reinstalling, that will do more cleanup.

I don't do a lot of svmi hacking, but it's good to get it fixed up and improved now and then. I'm especially glad to have the module builder reintegrated into the actual svmi functionality, not have to wait until you boot into x to see if it works.

Keep in mind, you cannot install vmplayer module to a new kernel, so you have to be running the kernel you want the module installed to.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
New patches out, for 2.5.2, tested and working with svmi 32 and 64 bit for 2.6.29. 2.5.2 is now the default vmplayer install.

Also note the new svmi feature: rebuild vmplayer module, that makes it seamless.

I'm going to leave the previous version 2.5.1 as a testing option, I think, I'll always do that from now on, first test with -! 2 the new version, then once it's verified working, I'll put the old one as the -! 2 option, that should work well for all people, and be quite seamless too in terms of offering most support possible on an ongoing basis.

Enjoy.

And thanks very much to the patch author, who made all this possible. communities.vmware.com/thread/203231
techAdmin
Reply Quote
added tentative install of virtualbox-ose-qt with any vbox-ose 2.2 or later, this might cause some non kde users problems so let me know if this is an issue please and I'll revise it.

With vbox 2.2 vbox will not start without this lib, but for some reason it's not a dependency.

There is another package called vboxgtk that works for gtk stuff, but I'd have to do more testing to automatically switch between that.

A missing kde desktop package though might be a good test, I'm not sure, for now it''s qt being installed.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
Updated to vbox non ose 2.2.2
techAdmin
Reply Quote
Improved missing gcc version, now tests for and installs if available missing gcc version, and g++ version, and exports gcc to CC, otherwise exits with error.

Oh, forgot, also updated to vbox non ose 2.2.4
techAdmin
Reply Quote
added new virtualbox-non-ose 3.0.0 package.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
Added new bug fix edition vbox 3.0.2

Hopefully this one gets it right.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
vmware player 2.5.3 added, apparently no patch was needed afterall, which is nice to see, I had just tested the old patches, which failed, that's why it wasn't in svmi sooner.

Works on 2.6.30 and I assume 2.6.31

Patch thread: communities.vmware.com/thread/230743
techAdmin
Reply Quote
Refactoring of svmi. Because the main selector screen was too long for some monitors in terminal mode, I created an initial vmware/vbox selector, with module builders as well in case that's all you need to do is rebuild the module.

Created now two sub menus for vbox and for vmware, so now it's a bit cleaner in terms of not being too long.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next