New smxi built in feature: kernel remover
techAdmin
Reply Quote
Because of a recent sid break in dialog, which broke the sidux based kernel-remover script, I've just completed the new native, built in kernel-remover function in smxi, which follows the same methods and layouts as the rest of smxi.

This solves a current dialog bug, and also makes it easier for me to add features to the kernel remover stuff if it's needed.

Please test and give any bug reports, with a link to paste.debian.net -> /var/log/smxi.log

All should work the same or better than before.

Currently, it will remove this:

all apt kernel components
smxi kernel download directory
/usr/src/linux-headers-<kernel removed>
/lib/modules/<kernel rmeoved>

I think that will cover it.

I'm glad to not be using the slightly hacked sidux script to be honest, it never really fit in with smxi in the first place.
deach
Reply Quote
Worked good on my end. I did it about 30 minutes ago after fighting it for a day or so. Worked like a champ. thanks
bowhuntr
Reply Quote
Worked good for me this morning. Not a glitch that I could see.
Great Job (as always)
Crust
Reply Quote
I like the integration.
hoodwink
Reply Quote
Worked ok here (2 minutes ago).

One question. Why would you want to cleanup a kernel without moving the kernel install directory? I always reply yes at the option.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
hoodwink, well, say you have a weird kernel issue, that only certain kernels fix. In rare cases, you might want to keep the kernel install directory just in case, since you can always reinstall from there if you want.

I was going to offer two choices on the new confirm yes / no remove kernel, yes remove, and yes remove including install directories, but the logic was a bit challenging in case people wanted to keep their other ones, so I just left it this way.