Flash 8 problems in Firefox 1.0.6
jeffd
Reply Quote
The new Flash 8 plugin is failing under certain circumstances in Firefox. I don't know how far back in versions the issues go. The failure appears to be directly connection with the Adblock extension, we'll have to run further tests on that.

Not all flash fails however
:: Code ::
<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="/flash/somefiile.swf">
<param name="movie" value="/flash/somefile.swf" />
<param name="loop" value="true" />
<param name="quality" value="best" />
<param name="bgcolor" value="#ffffff" />
</object>

Will run correctly, that is, without the embed tag.

If you are having problems, there are two things you can do that will apparently fix it, temporarily anyway:

1. Go to the adblock preferences, and disable 'Obj-tags'. There is more information on the macromedia flash forums. This is also documented on the adblock forums. You can find adblock obj tags by clicking 'tools' -> adblock -> Preferences -> Adblock Options -> Obj-tags
  2. Uninstall Flash 8 and roll it back to flash 7. You can get the uninstaller here
  3. Then install Flash 7, you can download it at the macromedia Flash archives

When you install Flash 7, everything will work again.

This appears to be a problem with the <embed> tag itself, or in some handling of the embed tag.

<added>
Further testing shows that there is definitely an adblock/flash 8 conflict. When you disable 'Obj-tag' Flash 8 will once again work. Or if you disable Adblock Flash 8 will work.

However, since I like Adblock a whole lot more than I like Flash, I'm rolling back to 7 until this bug is worked out.

Currently, it's not clear where the coding problem lies, with Adblock or Flash 8, we'll see how it turns out.

If you want to use Flash 8, make sure to disable 'obj-tag', then if you want to block a flash add, use this:

:: Quote ::
and use CTRL+Shift+F for "Flash Overlay" when wanting to create a new filter to block a particular flash object. src

flash 8 firefox
muttfactor2112
Reply Quote
I have problems with Flash 8 as well, but I click Tools then I have no Adblock tab. What may I be doing wrong???
jeffd
Reply Quote
Your question is pretty abbreviated, I'll assume you're saying that when you follow the procedure above, you no longer see the adblock tab on the flash objects.

That's correct, that's what you won't see, that's what the procedure does, turn off that tab on flash objects. That's why I recommend rolling back to Flash 7, there is no reason to use flash 8 for normal users that I'm aware of, unless you are a flash developer.