Trying to get main javascript detection working
sagaticus
Reply Quote
This is just what I was looking for, script seems perfect... but I'm still trying to get it working. Here is what I have (it's not pulling in the css)

:: Code ::
 <script type="text/javascript" src="browser_detection.js"></script>

<script language="JavaScript">
function browser_css( ) {
   d = document;
   if ( saf ) {
      d.write('<link rel = "stylesheet" type = "text\/css" href = "browser_safari.css" />');
   }
   else if ( document.layers ){
      d.write('<link rel = "stylesheet" type = "text\/css" href = "browser_moz.css" />');
   }
   else if ( ie6 ){
      d.write('<link rel = "stylesheet" type = "text\/css" href = "browser_ie6.css" />');
   }
   else if ( ie7 ){
      d.write('<link rel = "stylesheet" type = "text\/css" href = "browser_ie7.css" />');
   }
   else if ( moz && ( nu < 1 ) ){
      d.write('<link rel = "stylesheet" type = "text\/css" href = "browser_moz.css" />');
   }
   else {
   }
}
</script>

What am I doing wrong? I have four css files created one with a different color attribute based on the browser. Just testing here, but keep failing. Thanks...
techAdmin
Reply Quote
to debug issues, you need to make sure the stuff is loading and running.

So in the library file, place this line: alert('library file running');

and in the function you are calling, place another alert: alert('function running');

After this, you'll realize that the function is not running because you didn't call it.

Declaring a function makes it available for the page to use, but to use it, you have to do this:

browser_css( );

after the last bracket of the function, like so:

:: Code ::
else {
   }
}

browser_css( );
</script>

sagaticus
Reply Quote
Thanks! this now works perfectly for IE7, ffox, safari, and IE6.

Script is very well written, thank you!