Stuck on last 2 errors on W3C Markup Validation
Spanky
Reply Quote
Hello all, I recently created my website at <link removed because it's not necessary>
I was made aware on another forum that my site had many problems. Therefore I was introduced to the W3C Site Validator site. At first I had 78 errors. Now I am down to 2. After browsing I see that those who frequent this site are privy to these things so. . .here we go.

Error #1

:: Quote ::
Error Line 11 column 108: value of attribute "NAME" must be a single token.
...r/wate1011.css"><meta name="Microsoft Theme" content="water 1011">
This attribute can not take a space-separated list of words as a value, but only one word ("token"). This may also be caused by the use of a space for the value of an attribute which does not permit it

I am aware that this is my "theme" I have used in the site. However, if I change any of the code (I experimented for hours) that is written it totally takes the "theme" away. This one is really difficult for me.

Error #2
:: Quote ::
Error Line 18 column 69: there is no attribute "HEIGHT".
...lpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="786" height="1656">
You have used the attribute named above in your document, but the document type you are using does not support that attribute for this element. This error is often caused by incorrect use of the "Strict" document type with a document that uses frames (e.g. you must use the "Transitional" document type to get the "target" attribute), or by using vendor proprietary extensions such as "marginheight" (this is usually fixed by using CSS to achieve the desired effect instead).

This error may also result if the element itself is not supported in the document type you are using, as an undefined element will have no supported attributes; in this case, see the element-undefined error message for further information.

How to fix: check the spelling and case of the element and attribute, (Remember XHTML is all lower-case) and/or check that they are both allowed in the chosen document type, and/or use CSS instead of this attribute. If you received this error when using the <embed> element to incorporate flash media in a Web page, see the FAQ item on valid flash.

Because I read another thread on this site (someone else had the same problem) I now understand that in HTML there is no value for "height." Why, I don't understand?? Nonetheless, this has to do with my "tables" in my site and are much needed.
On the other thread somone mentioned what to do but it was a little beyond my knowledge.
Unfortanetly I created everything on Microsoft FrontPage 2003 (save your jokes) and I don't know nothing about writing from scratch in HTML, so, please feel free to elaborate a little in your suggestions.
Thanks ahead of time!
erikZ
Reply Quote
well, I'm going to ignore the frontpage issue altogether except where I can't help myself, it has always sucked as an HTML editor, and I assume it will always suck. Nobody, not me, or anyone else, can make Microsoft products right for them. They have to do that.

As you may have noted, this forum says: WYSIWYG questions not encouraged (someone needs to change that to: not supported at all), but I'll address the actual technical issues.

Both cases mean exactly what they say:

1. value of attribute "NAME" must be a single token.

means just that. Microsoft uses an unallowed name: Microsoft Theme, which is two tokens, not one. A name cannot contain spaces, that is. For some reason microsoft has had tremendous difficulty with the concept that spaces and the internet really don't go well together.

They are not allowed, period. So don't use them. I can't rewrite frontpage, and won't spend any time addressing its issues. It has always sucked. Dreamweaver tends to put out decent html and css for a wysimhwywg (what you see is maybe hopefully what you will get) type editor. Get a copy and throw away your front page or you'll always have these issues.

Nothing in html, css, or any other programming language, supports spaces in names, variables, classes, etc. Use - to separate names, or _ I guess, though that is not allowed in css, so best to just use -

2. Also says what it means, there is no height attribute allowed. Period. End of story. You can use css to declare height on any element if you want, but with tables that height will not be forced, tables will expand it, with one exception, opera browser I think will obey it.

If your design depends on rigid heights for layout it is flawed and should probably be fixed.

You have no control over user behavior, if a user sets their default font size to 20px, it will blow up your table all to hell anyway, so just give up on that idea, let the pages flow downwards naturally.

Make sure to test on Firefox and Opera at least by the way, I assume Frontpage still thinks that the only browser in the world is MSIE>

That's it. I can't make frontpage work for you, and won't try.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
I updated the forum description to explicitly state that questions on WYSIWYG editors are not supported.

Sorry about the confusion, that should have been changed years ago.

We most definitely do not support or encourage the use of WYSIWYG editors, although other forums out there do.

Check out www.webmasterworld.com for example, they have a forum dedicated to that stuff.