Wireless connection dropping
techAdmin
Reply Quote
Of course, playing with wireless you start finding way more ways for the network to fail.

This page gives one possible cause, and the solution:

:: Quote ::
is there a cordless phone in use nearby? My older 2.4 GHz cordless phone base drops all wireless connections in a decent radius when it's in use....

I'd get very low transfer rates from my Linksys router when it was on channel 6, which is apparently the standard operating channel for 2.4Ghz phones (we have 4.)

Changed it to channel 11, as per request from LinkSys on their website, and the problem was solved.

In our case, there is also a wireless phone in the house, so it will be interesting to see if changing the network to channel 11 will resolve the dropped connection problem.

One immediate differece confirms wha this poster notes, when I did a speed test, there was a very big difference between using the default channel 6 and going to 11. Upload speed was almost 2 times faster.
paleoflatus
Reply Quote
My wifi network keeps shutting down, since I upgraded and installed a liquorix kernel with smxi. I restore it with ifdown wlan0 and ifup wlan0, but it plays havoc with downloads and it's a nuisance.
The echo from ifup is:

root@mainbox:/home/bob# ifup wlan0
Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client V3.1.3
Copyright 2004-2009 Internet Systems Consortium.
All rights reserved.
For info, please visit www.isc.org/software/dhcp/

Listening on LPF/wlan0/00:11:50:89:67:25
Sending on LPF/wlan0/00:11:50:89:67:25
Sending on Socket/fallback
DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 4
DHCPOFFER from 192.168.1.1
DHCPREQUEST on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
DHCPACK from 192.168.1.1
bound to 192.168.1.102 -- renewal in 34375 seconds.
root@mainbox:/home/bob#

Is there an easy fix? Would switching to channel 11 fix it and how do I change channels?
eriefisher
Reply Quote
I also have cordless phones at home but my main problem is trying to find a reliable router. I'm on my fourth one in about three years. The wireless end of it just seems to cook???

I have a real old Linksys wired router and it's never given me any trouble. I use it to extend the wired part of my network.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
Buffalo routers are good bets, for example: BUFFALO WHR-HP-G54 is one of the better devices out there at the moment, might be newer versions even better, check reviews, make sure it's got upgradeable firmware though.

With routers make sure that you can get downloadable firmware like Tomato for it, it tends to be a lot better, though if it comes with something like dd-wrt firmware it's usually ok, since that means it's linux compatible and usually upgradeable to other firmwares.

I've also heard people say the Linksys WRT54GL (the L stands for Linux, these are the expensive ones) are also good. Skimp on routers and you'll be living with bad connections the rest of the time you own the device, though now and then you might be lucky with cheap stuff, but don't bet on it.
Wirerless Routers
reiner
Reply Quote
I finally switched to an netgear wirless router (DG834PNB)with up to 6 antennas build in. This finally solved the weired wireless problems I had with the wireless routers before.

regards

Reiner