Need help with cookies
kish
Reply Quote
I am building a website that has several catalogue pages, the problem is this, the site is not an online shop so there is no “add to basket” feature but rather “request info” feature.

The visitor may want to request info about several items selecting randomly as he or she browses and then send one request list, in effect clicking on a item on one page should add this item (name or number) in the text area on another page which can then be submitted as an e-mail form.

I am told cookies can achieve this, can anyone suggest the appropriate coding.

Thanks,

Kish.
jeffd
Reply Quote
Hi kish, since you aren't actually asking any specific programming question here, I'll just give a general answer. We don't write people's programming for them as a rule, so this won't be the code.

The basic idea is simple,. you set a cookie, you have some programming language check for that cookie on every page load, then you have that programming handle what you want done, in this case adding the information you want.

Of course, how will your pages know when to mail the request? They won't, and that's what makes this particular idea fairly unworkable.

You can maintain state, and data across those sessions, with cookies or other methods, but the end user has to trigger the next step at some point.
kish
Reply Quote
Thanks Jeff, I will set up a “Review Info Request” page with a submit button.