cookie file locations
tswaters
Reply Quote
So i've got this little game javascript game i'm creating, and i'm working on high scores, stored by cookies.

i'm running the game locally... using the cookie functions found here: techpatterns.com/downloads/javascript_cookies.php

my function call:
setCookie( "cookie1", score, "", "", "", "");

The cookie seems to store fine, but when I go into the temporary internet files to delete the cookie to start testing from scratch, I can't seem to find it..... And the really trippy part, I go into Internet Explorer, nuke all my temporary internet files and the cookies seem to remain

Can anyone out there help me?
Detailed information on where cookies are stored for Mozilla & Internet Explorer would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance
-Tyler Waters
jeffd
Reply Quote
Session cookies are stored in memory, the only reliable way when testing to get rid of them is to create a 'delete cookie' link, using the javascript cookies.

That usually works.

Once you have deleted the cookie, you can usually proceed with testing. But you won't find that cookie if you look for it, you just have to delete it with javascript.

Some browsers, I think MSIE is one of those, requires a restart to dump all its temp cookies. Test to see if that's still the case, it used to be.

Real browsers, like Firefox or Opera, I think will allow you to delete them with javascript. That's the easiest way I know of, you can also access the cookies through the privacy features of those browsers, and delete them there, but that's kind of a pain, but it works fine.

The web developer toolbar, for Firefox, has a 'cookies' menu item that allows you to delete session cookies, for this exact kind of test.

So there you have a few good ways to do it, of course, none of those feature MSIE, but that browser is now basically obsolete in the real world except for its excessive market share. As usual, test-develop in Firefox/Opera, debug for MSIE.
thx!
tswaters
Reply Quote
Thanks Jeff! That's exactly what I wanted to hear....

For the record, from Mozilla -> Tools -> Clear Private Data -> Select Cookies, press OK..... kinda frustrating because it defaults on 4 of the 6 options. Cookies, of course, not defaulted.

Also, I already do all my testing with Mozilla....It's the only half-decent JavaScript error-returner I've ever seen.... I just need to do "backwards combatibility" for MSIE lol
jeffd
Reply Quote
It's a common problem when testing, I run into it all the time, I usually just put a temp link on the page that deletes the cookie so I can test without headaches.

However, check out firefox web developer toolbar if you havn't already, that's the best tool for web developers, absolutely must have.

I'm fairly sure MSIE requires a restart to actually dump the session cookies, but the other browsers I think are ok in that way.
Re: thx!
tswaters
Reply Quote
:: tswaters wrote ::
kinda frustrating because it defaults on 4 of the 6 options. Cookies, of course, not defaulted.

Ah more on this, you can change the defaults by:
Mozilla -> Tools -> Options -> Privacy -> Settings