Need to delineate an exact input position in a js file
vkaryl
Reply Quote
This is a file within the wordpress script (yeah I know you guys aren't impressed with wp, but I have to use it for clients, so help me out here, ok?)

This file produces a rack of buttons above the write post entry field. I've edited the file to set up a button which produces a table to implement the entry of bridge hands. Works great, but the users thereof would benefit by the input position for the card numbers being something besides "next to the  " if you see what I mean - these are NOT web savvy folks, ok?

I can if you like provide the website etc.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
yes, please post a url in this case, it's not clear.
vkaryl
Reply Quote
The url is link - I'll pm you the login info so you can actually see the button in place, click it, see what it inputs, etc.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
highlighting the textarea box itself is simple, but highlighting a word within it, or a string like   is from what I can see not simple at all.

I may be wrong, but from what I saw googling around and checking out the code, this is not a trivial thing to do, I know I've never seen it done, not in a text area.

It may be possible, but I think there's a reason you don't see this done. Try asking around, the specific question you want answered is this:

You want to highlight a string within the body of a textarea block of data. Not the whole block, just that string.

Personally, I'd just add something like *** after the   and tell the user to replace *** with the thing you want them to enter.
vkaryl
Reply Quote
:: techAdmin wrote ::
highlighting the textarea box itself is simple, but highlighting a word within it, or a string like   is from what I can see not simple at all.

I may be wrong, but from what I saw googling around and checking out the code, this is not a trivial thing to do, I know I've never seen it done, not in a text area.

It may be possible, but I think there's a reason you don't see this done. Try asking around, the specific question you want answered is this:

You want to highlight a string within the body of a textarea block of data. Not the whole block, just that string.

Personally, I'd just add something like *** after the   and tell the user to replace *** with the thing you want them to enter.

Yep, got there earlier. Just have to see if that's copacetic with the client. I did post again on the wp support forum to see if anyone has done something similar.

Though I do have to say, considering the complexities already involved, "un-trivial" isn't necessarily a non-starter.

Thanks for the help!