Page: 1, 2  Next

Installing Windows XP SP1 Error
jemalm
Reply Quote
Good Day to all that can help,

I'm in the process of trying to reinstall Windows XP Sp1 on my new Seagate 300GB Hard Drive.

I was first having the issue of "File \i386\NTKRNLMP.EXE Could Not Be Loaded - The Error Code is 7"

I got past that issue by setting the BIOS to the default.....

Now I have to change the BIOS to boot from the CD Rom. >
I press any key to boot from the CD Rom..>
It start loading the Windows Setup Files....>
Then once I get to where it's time to format the drive for Windows I get a Blue "Dump Screen"

Stating "A Problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to rpevent damage to your computer.
If this is the first time you've see this stop error screen, restart your computer. (It's not the first time, it's like the 10th time)

Technical Information:

***Stop: 0xc0000000005, etc.
*** setupdd.sys - Address F9E3BF3E bast at etc....

PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME!!!!!!!
jeffd
Reply Quote
I found this thread at tomshardware.com.

:: Quote ::
I'd go to your HD manufacturer's website and download their diagnostic program. Most offer a choice of making a bootable floppy or ISO image on a CD. Run the program to check your HD for errors. If it comes up good, write zeros to the drive using either the utility from the HD manufacturer or a third party tool. Then try reformatting. If the diagnostic finds errors on your drive, you'll need a new one.

That's my first guess as well.

Also, I think xp sp 1 may not be able to recognize a full 300 gigabyte hard disk if it's in a single partition.

Steps:
Check hard disk using hard disk formatting tool
You can get a full set from ultimate bood cd
That includes all the drive testing utilities from hard drive manufactorers.

If it's a SATA drive, you probably will need to use the ibm test utility, it's one of the only ones that works with sata.

Next, get gparted live disk partitioning cd. Windows installer has a really crappy partitioner in it. Try the gparted one instead.

Create a 100 gigabyte or less partition, I use much smaller, and store all my data on the data partition. Windows xp may be suffering from the old > 137 gigabyte hard drive size issue.

Format this partition using ntfs, again, using gparted livecd.

Now you are ready to proceed.

Try reinstalling xp. If errors still show up, and there are no problems with your hard drive, you probably have a bad windows cd rom is my guess.
jemalm
Reply Quote
I didn't have any problems formatting the Hard Drive. I just have a problem with installing Windows XP onto the Drive. I can get as far as partitioning the drive. Then for some apparent reason I'm getting the "Blue Screen." With the message " Problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to rpevent damage to your computer.
If this is the first time you've see this stop error screen, restart your computer."

I used the Hard Drive Manufacturer CD Rom to setup the drive and that's no any issue. I also tried to install Windows 98 ME to see if I can do that, and that's not even working. I inserted the boot disk and selected Option #1 ( With CD Rom Support). I got to inserert the Win 98 ME CD Rom and then I get "Abort, Retry, or Fail" The message is "Can't Read From the CD Rom Drive."

Any Suggestions or Solutions?
jeffd
Reply Quote
I already posted my suggestions and solutions, and until you do them, I'm not going to post anymore.

Obviously you need to check the hard disk for damage, like I said, and you probably need to make sure that the large disk size I mentioned but which you aren't paying attention to is not the issue by doing what I said to do.

Please don't post again until you have verified these two items, you are wasting our time and your time.

Check disk for damage by running disk test utilities on it.

Check that partition size > 137 gigabytes is not the problem by partitioning the disk with a non-windows partitioning tool, like the one I mentioned.

If neither of those are the issue, you have some other issue.

Of course, once you've downloaded and burned gparted, if that also doesn't start on your box when you try to run that cd, there is something wrong with your cd/mobo somewhere.

But as long as you maintain that things aren't problems that you have no way of knowing are not problems without running tests on them, you won't get anywhere.

The hard disk setup cd rom does not check the disk for damage, please don't misread what I wrote, and don't assume that something has happened when it has not happened. That's a total waste of time.

Again, to be clear: the methods you are using and have tried have not worked, so please don't try to believe you have done any meaningful tests when you haven't. Currently you have done nothing, and the tools you've used are not useful to determine the cause and solution. If you maintain that these tools are in fact useful and give meaningful information when they don't and aren't, there's nothing I can do to help you.

good luck.
jemalm
Reply Quote
I was paying attention to what you said before, and I did everything that you stated. I used the HD software to Format the drive, I check for errors, and I also check to see if there was a problem with using 137 GB. It's none of the above, because I did all of that and still having the same problem. Now if I'm not doing something right or don't quite understand what you're saying then please have Pitty on the Fool.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
did you create a test install partition of some less than 137 gigabyte size [try 40 gigabytes or so] and then try installing either windows into it? It doesn't sound like you have to me, please confirm with a yes I have or no I have not. If the answer is no, then please stop saying you've done something you have not done, it's not helpful.

the habit of windows to throw all its stuff one massive partition is something that should have been stopped long ago, but microsoft doesn't want to make it complicated for users, so they keep doing it.

Did you boot into the hard disk installer cd and run the hard disk check from there? That takes A LONG LONG time, about 2 or 3 hours for 300 gigabytes. If it ran some fast little test that took about 90 seconds you have not tested the drive, just done a superficial check that shows that it works mechanically. The sector by sector check is VERY SLOW. You cannot mistake it for anything else.

Also, your connection cable might be bad. You should try another cable to connect the harddrive to the mobo, ideally a known new and good one.

Those cables can and do go bad.

Does your motherboard support > 137 gigabyte drives, if it's older it won't.

When you go into the bios, is the full 300 gigabyte size reported?

These are all things you need to check.

The fact that both ME and XP are failing means it's not an installer issue, it's a hardware issue. You should also check your memory, ram, while you're at it.

The ultimate boot cd has a ram testing utility on it, it works very well.

Also in bios you should double check that all your ram is correctly reported. Usually it is, unless one of the sticks is fried partially.
jemalm
Reply Quote
First I would thank you for your assistance. I think I may have figured out the problem. I think the co-processor is shot. I will have to replace the whole processor. if you have any connections with that let me know please.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
Yes, hardware was definitely indicated, an easy test would have been to try to run any linux livecd, if it failed, hardware issues.

No connections to any coprocessor here[?], not sure what that is referring to unless you are using a very old motherboard with mmx math coprocessor. Which probably wouldn't have supported a 300 gig hard drive no matter what.
jemalm
Reply Quote
Yes it is was a math processor. I'm not sure of the mmx though. So I will just try to get a barebone and swap the hard drives, etc.
jeffd
Reply Quote
Yes, a barebones is a good option, your current setup is not worth saving, nothing except the hard drive and maybe the cd rom.

They haven't used math coprocessors in years from what I remember, so that was a pretty old setup. The hard drive wouldn't have registered on that no matter what, mobo wouldn't have supported it, 10 to 1.

It's good you tried installing ME as well, since as soon as two different things failed to install it's pretty much guaranteed that it's a hardware issue.
Page: 1, 2  Next