Cyclic Redundancy error blocks file deletion
vkaryl
Reply Quote
This is a new one.... I have XAMPP running as my local server (used for developing, website design, etc.) .htaccess hasn't ever been a problem - download with site files etc., never causes me any trouble. Except today, one of my local folders is giving me an access denied error - due to an .htaccess file that won't let me delete, rename, move, whatever since it's giving a "cyclic redundancy" error.

I did NOTHING with this folder or the .htaccess file yesterday or this morning. I've made no changes to apache....

All I want right now is a way to delete it. I tried through command prompt and "real dos" (if that's not an oxymoron, of course); linux won't let me do anything with it either, I guess because it's on an NTFS partition?

Any ideas?
jeffd
Reply Quote
A cyclic redundancy error usually means a data corruption of some type has occurred. I was recently reading up on that particular error in order to resolve another issue.

This error is common on cds and dvds, it usually means that the disk is physically damaged. Now I don't want to say it, but I'll have to. Your disk may be physically damaged. The actual file may be corrupted.

Here's what Veritas has to say. That's a backup company. I removed the non-relevant parts - ignore the tape and scsi references, it's the same idea for any media:

:: Quote ::
2. Bad media:
Replace the media. Try a new tape that is certified by the hardware manufacturer.

8. Incorrect termination or bad cables:
Verify that the SCSI cable is good and is configured to provide proper SCSI termination. Do not mix passive and active termination.

Bad connections, those are my favorite. You'd be surprised at just how subtle a bad cable error can be. First thing I'd try is swapping cables on the disk drive to a known good, ideally, new, cable.

And, since we all really need to know more about crc's, here's wikipedia's version:

A cyclic redundancy check (CRC) is a type of hash function used to produce a checksum - which is a small, fixed number of bits - against a block of data, such as a packet of network traffic or a block of a computer file. The checksum is used to detect and correct errors after transmission or storage. A CRC is computed and appended before transmission or storage, and verified afterwards by recipient to confirm that no changes occurred on transit.

This would explain why you did nothing and it suddenly was broken.

I suspect disk damage.

Apache wouldn't have any control over the file if you access it through say windows explorer. If you are logged in as admin mode in windows. If in doubt, simply stop the Apache services completely. Now apache is not a factor. If you still have problems deleting the file, apache is not related to the problem.

You're right that Linux wouldn't give you deletion privileges in NTFS without you installing something like 'captive'. There is one livecd that had built in ntfs writing support, Mepis, though I don't know if they still do.

However, that's probably not the issue anyway.

You'll want to do a full disk check with the disk check utility. If you haven't already done so, start up the old modem and download the ultimate boot cd. That has most of the disk testing utilities on it. Note: because of how SATA works, many disk test utilities won't recognize it. IBM's will if I remember right. You'll want to run a full surface scan on it.

Also, in Windows, you'll want to check out the event viewer [ control panel => administrative tools => event viewer => system events ].

You'll be looking for red flagged items. Those will almost certainly turn out to be disk read errors.
vkaryl
Reply Quote
Well, I hadn't got back here to check until just now, but I'd got there on my own anyway. I've other files which are giving me the problem too. And I'm having trouble copying to my laptop (right b##ch THAT is, since it's my "backup"!)

So yeah, it's probably disk damage. Interesting, this drive is really fairly new, and it's a maxtor with which I have had next to zero problems over time. *sigh*
jeffd
Reply Quote
this drive is really fairly new, and it's a maxtor with which I have had next to zero problems over time. *sigh*

Seagates seem to have the reliability at the moment, that changes every few years, used to be maxtor. I've switched to seagate though because last year they were the first to reintroduce the 5 year warrant. Standard is 3. Offering a 5 years warranty on something that is spinning at 7200 rpm potentially 24/7 suggest a very high degree of confidence in the product. Neither maxtor, western digital or hitachi matched that at that time. That may have changed by now.

1 out of 4 maxtor hard disks I installed on a server failed. That didn't impress me much.

I know a great mechanic, he used to give me lots of advice since he knew I worked on cars, and he liked me and my friends.

So we had a dead battery in a friend's car, we replaced it with a supposedly almost new battery another friend had.

The battery died. I asked the mechanic for advice:

me: the battery is dying
him: did you test it?
me: it's new
me: but we just got it, it hasn't been used!

Needless to say, the battery was dead.

When I went back and told him this, he gave me what is probably the single greatest piece of technical advice I will ever get:

Things work, then they don't
vkaryl
Reply Quote
*laughing* Yeah, I know. My dad gave me that advice MANY years ago, and it hasn't changed a bit over time.

The drive is failing (Maxtor's nice little utility gave me all the info I needed). Maxtor is sending me a new one. So I have to do a reinstall. *sigh*

And in the meantime I have to get as much stuff off this one as I can.

Oh, btw. Seagate is buying Maxtor.