Stange overflow problem
wildo
Reply Quote
I have a VERY strange overflow problem. I am using [overflow: auto;] to make a scrolling div. i have done this successfully many times. This time however, i have such a strange problem that is perplexing me! in firefox 1.5, (and mozilla) the mouse wheel will scroll the div, but i can't click on the scroll bar. -well, i can, but nothing happens. the scrolling div works fine in IE. I have validated both the xhtml and the css... i just don't know...

url: [new user link]

css: [new user link]

the scroll div in question is the lower left. the right one works fine!! also, if i shorten the text, the scrollbar goes away like it should. what in the world..??? why doesn't the scrollbar work??????
THANKS!!
erikZ
Reply Quote
No problems I can see, scrolls fine in firefox 1.5. But those dual scrolling divs, I've seen some web fads come and go now, my guess is you won't see many scrolling divs like that in the future. Very user unfriendly.

But the layout works.

Why scroll two divs though? I'd give some thought to just letting the page flow naturally, drop the fixed height, that just isn't very popular with users I think. Sometimes just because we can do something doesn't mean we should do it. I had a similar fascination with scrolling divs, frames, iframes, took a while to give up on the idea. It took several web useability experts, plus my own experience, to finally realize that it just isn't something that's should be done. I know the rational from a design end, but users don't like stuff like this, pages should be for users. Or so you'd think.

< Edited by erikZ :: Jan 27, 06, 23:28 >

wildo
Reply Quote
you checked the scrollbar on the left? i know the right one works, but i am still not getting the left one. i have even checked it on multiple computers with the same results... thanks for your help!
erikZ
Reply Quote
left one works fine. But man, having a page scroll, and divs in the page scroll, that's really annoying. First you have to place your mouse over the div to scroll it, most users don't know about that stuff. Then if you miss, the page itself scrolls. Oh, the pain. Almost as bad as the old netscape <blink> tag.
wildo
Reply Quote
wow... why would it not scroll on my computer? sorry, didn't realize the full page was scrolling, designing in 1600 x 1200 atmosphere- thought i made it small enough. i will definitly fix that. anywho- any thoughts why it wouldn't scroll for me?
erikZ
Reply Quote
might be a css file caching issue, that happens when you are developing sometimes. Hard to say. Or it might be the size of your display.

Get the web developer toolbar for firefox, it has a resize option, in the toolbar preferences you can add dimensions, I always use 1024x768 because no website looks good in my opinion much larger than that.

I develop in what most average users use, and always test in the 2 most popular sizes: 1024x768 and 800x600. Those dimensions account for probably 90+% of all users. Very few users using large screen resolutions (> 1200) use their applications set to full screen either. Which would make the above view screen dimensions account for pretty much all users, give or take a tiny handful using very small resolutions or users like you, using all of the high resolution screen for one app.