need "force download" script
wisemedia
Reply Quote
I need a script that forces the download of a Windows Media file.

We want to avoid the 'auto media plugin' response and have the file downloaded to the users hard drive.

Everyone says the easy, "just zip it", --what if they don't have an "unzip" program... too complicating.

Purpose: One result in this case, we are actually being kind by not forcing them to watch it right away in their browser ( -:

They can have better control and watch at their leasure

Thank you!

FYI: No server side language being used. It would have to be a java script or a browser instruction in the HTML page.
jeffd
Reply Quote
No server side language = no control over server behavior. This is easy to do with server side programming, just a few lines of code.

There's no way to control download behavior that I'm aware of without using a server side language, although there might be a javascript method. There's definitely no HTML method as far as I know.

The way you do it with server side programming is send the click request to a page that simply contains the file name (or pass the file name as a variable, that's easier to maintain), then create a header that forces a download of the file instead of allowing the default browser behavior to occur.
wisemedia
Reply Quote
:: jeffd wrote ::
No server side language = no control over server behavior. This is easy to do with server side programming, just a few lines of code.

There's no way to control download behavior that I'm aware of without using a server side language, although there might be a javascript method. There's definitely no HTML method as far as I know.

The way you do it with server side programming is send the click request to a page that simply contains the file name (or pass the file name as a variable, that's easier to maintain), then create a header that forces a download of the file instead of allowing the default browser behavior to occur.

JeffD: That makes total sense, because it needs to work an all browsers obviously. Can you point me to an example of how this
is set-up? (language of the header, etc.) Thanks much.
jeffd
Reply Quote
This is one way, it assume you are sending the filename to some page, let's call it download.php:

So the url is /utilities/download.php?folder=somefolder&file=somefilename.wmv

:: Code ::
<?php
$filename = ( isset($_GET['file']) ) ? $_GET['file'] : '';
$folder = ( isset($_GET['folder']) ) ? $_GET['folder'] : '';
if ( $filename && $folder )//  make sure there's data in them
{
$file_info = basename($filename);
$file_info = explode(".", $file_info);
$extension = $file_info[1];
// notice here, you can't insert a different url to add scripts since you always are adding / before anything gotten from the query string. There's many, and better, ways, to protect yourself, but this one works fine, and is simple.
$filename = '/' . $folder . '/' . $filename;
header("Pragma: public");
header("Expires: 0");
header("Cache-Control: must-revalidate, post-check=0, pre-check=0");
header("Content-Type: application/force-download");
header("Content-Type: application/" . $extension );
header("Content-Type: application/download");
header("Content-Disposition: attachment; filename=".basename($filename).";");
header("Content-Transfer-Encoding: binary");
header("Content-Length: ".filesize($filename));

readfile("$filename");

exit();
}
?>

Or something like that, you have to test it a bit to make sure it works.

When sending headers, no space or other html can be sent before the script executes, in other words, the download.php must begin with:
<?php

and end with

?>

no line break or anything anywhere. That's a sloppy old script, it could be done better, and has been done better, but this is more or less how you do it.