help! Windows Firefox 1.0.7 is distorting our flash movie!
cyaneyed
Reply Quote

We're making a product demo in Flash and it will display strangely in Firefox for windows: it will load the movie, but the click point for all of the buttons are about .5" lower than the actual display shown (as if the movie is getting pushed up, but the clickable areas are not)

It works just fine in Firefox for macs why is it moving the movie in Firefox in windows?

*sigh* v. frustrated and the demo is tomorrow!
jeffd
Reply Quote
That's a flash specific issue. Check to see if that problem exists on Flash 7 for firefox, or just Flash 8.

Obviously we can't make Flash player change its behaviors. It's not clear if you're having the same issues on Microsoft Windows Internet Explorer by the way.

I'm assuming you're talking about the behavior of the flash file in the flash player itself, and not some much more simple issue with the placement of the object/embed tag in the HTML, of course.

If this is a flash specific problem, you'll need to go to some flash specialized forums and see if anyone can resolve this bug for you.
cyaneyed
Reply Quote
it displays fine in Windows IE, however the movie doesn't refresh as it should after you perform an action.

In firefox, the movie does not display properly (the hit points being off), but it does refresh just fine.

We are placing the flash movie inside an html frame, but its v. simple.
jeffd
Reply Quote
In that case it's a firefox flash plugin issue, that would come down to how you created the actionscript, if there are known firefox flash plugin problems, actionscripting execution bugs etc.

That gets to such a narrow debugging point though that you have to go to a highly specialized flash specific forum to resolve the question. And if you've just discovered say a new actionscript bug, you get the satisfaction of knowing you found it first, LOL...

I haven't heard of any standard flash issues at all with Firefox, there is the issue with the conflict between flash 8 and adblock, so if your firefox has adblock in it, make sure to disable it while testing, it's very very unlikely that is causing actual functionality issues though.

Since each plugin is different for each browser, well, for each major OS/browser combination, it's not surprising to see it work in one configuration and not in another.

My guess is if you tested it on opera windows with the same flash plugin, you'd see the same issue.

Check out Macromedia flash forums, somebody over there might know this problem, or might have seen it before.
posted there first
cyaneyed
Reply Quote
and looked through the forums, haven't found anything addressing this.
jeffd
Reply Quote
You may have found a new bug, or you may simply have made an action script error, I don't do flash, so I can't say for sure, but I've seen lots of flash in firefox, and I've never seen anything wrong like you are seeing.

My experience is that when I find what I think may be a bug, but I can't find it reported anywhere on the web, and it's connected to a major product with dedicated forums, in almost all cases it turns out that I made a mistake somewhere.