page sizing PLEASE HELP
Brennan
Reply Quote
Is there a code that tells the page it cant go smaller then a certain size? I want to prevent overlapping.
Thanks Brennan
erikZ
Reply Quote
yes, you can do that with javascript. But that's not actually the real question; the question is: should you do this? And the answer is NO!!

Absolutely not. If a user has their browser set to some size, it's either because they want it that size, and a resizing will just annoy them, or because their monitor doesn't handle larger resolutions.

If I visited your site and it attempted to resize my browser window, I'd leave. I know what size I want my browser window to be. Look at almost any site out there and ask yourself: do they do that?

Your job as a site builder is to make the site work for users, not you. This is not an odd idea in making websites, it's one of the basic principles.

I can't quite picture what the problem is though I have to admit, I read some of your other postings, and I guess it's that frame/iframe thing you're working on.

If you're getting overlap, not sure how, that could be a css error, it's hard to say.

But the basic idea on a webpage is that it should display more or less fine over a fairly wide range of display resolutions. Most sites average support for 800 px wide monitors, a little less usually. And if you visit it with say a 640 width, you'll just get a bottom scroll bar, which is fine, there's no reason to give full support to that tiny market segment, but they should be able to see the site, even if they do have to scroll a bit horizontally to do so.

Obviously, if you're using frames, some parts of that aren't going to be workable. And if you add an iframe to the mix, it gets even worse. In general, the more hacks and fixes you have to add to make something work, the greater the chance that you may have made an initial site architecture decision that was not that good.

Frames, by definition, will resize to fit the display window of the browser, so if you have one frame 100 px high, the other will get smaller and smaller as the browser size is made smaller. Nothing to do about that. If you are seeing overlap within an iframe or frame, that's a css error almost for sure, or an error in table widths, although that's less likely.

You can work around that by putting the content frame <body> material into a container div, then set a width on that. That way, the requesting frame page will know how wide the rendered frame src page is supposed to be.

The best layout, the one that probably 99% of websites out there use, is fixed [or liquid in very rare cases] width, with content flowing down. That's for good reason, it's what users like, it works well, it displays quite consistently cross browser, and it's user friendly.

Decide what you want, at some point in the future, 10 to 1 odds, you'll undo what you have now and convert it to a more flexible, user friendly design.