Hi guys -
vkaryl
Reply Quote
Well, here's a regular balls'up for you....

For years I've used phpBB on my sites - been with this host 7 years, and moved to them to begin with so I could use phpBB and other scripts of this sort.

Today Sharon tells me that they will no longer support any forum software at all, and that they're removing Fantastico (which isn't a problem for me, since I manually install anyway most of the time, and ALWAYS manually upgrade religiously!) Now, I have never once in 7 years caused them a problem with my use of the scripts offered. However, I'm aware that they've had problems with others, and while the servers I'm on have not been affected, others of their servers have been taken down completely.

So I'm not b##ch about them shutting me out - I understand it as a logical business decision.... BUT. I need at least one space somewhere where the host understands better how to secure this sort of thing, I guess - because I have a couple of fora I just do NOT want to try to move into WordPress....

Any thoughts on who? The other problem will be cost.... the host I'm with right now is under $8 a month.... and since none of what I need to move makes any money.... you get the drift....
techAdmin
Reply Quote
Hi Vkaryl, you're lucky you're not using vbulliten or coppermine, those are banned much more often. Last I looked at wordpress their code is a nightmare, filled with globals, maybe it's better, I haven't looked since 1.0.

If you think about it, the average hoster isn't very good at security, and the average website owner is downright terrible when it comes to security.

For example, Finale professional music composition software has forums running phpbb 2.0.4, I kid you not.

Here's my recommendations:

Pair Is GREAT!!!!
Absolute, hands down, no one comes even remotely close [and I've been dealing with a lot of different hosters these last months, all supposed to be high quality], I love this company, I have no headaches with them<ok ok, no I don't get a commission, I just really like these guys>: Pair Networks.

They are absolute tops, their stuff works. Uptime, backups, skilled network admins, high end data trunk lines, dedicated mysql servers, you name it, nobody else comes close. The only drawback with their shared accounts is a maximum of 15 or so simultaneous mysql connections, that's a lot though, it means at the same instant 15 people are loading a new page.

I researched these guys heavily before switching most of my sites to them, you will find no substantial problem reports about pair, at least I didn't. When I first started using them, pair had the highest server uptime in the industry, the only other hosters to beat them were places like yahoo webhosting, that also used freebsd, but pair came in number 4 in the world, but the top 3 are actually not standard webhosters, they are more like datacenters.

Pair is independent, they put a huge amount of resources back into the community, they host/mirror many major open source projects, including debian, oscommerce. Tomshardware.com, the ultimate geeks, use pair to host their site. Pair also pays freebsd developers etc. They are the perfect company in my opinion.

If you get the advanced package, and pay a year in advance, I think it's about $15 a month.

Less great, but ok, is mediatemple.net. They are ok, cheaper, but cheaper means less money to pay for high end stuff.

Personally, I pay pair that extra $5-8 a month, resting comfortably with the long term experience of what that few dollars a months gets me in terms of no more headaches, no more problems, no more server misconfigurations, no more server hacks, solid freebsd.

Did I mention how much I like pair by the way? Basically what they do is charge you the real price it costs to offer real service/bandwidth/hardware in as reliable a way as humanly possible. No downtime to speak of either by the way.

And security, forget about it, freebsd run by professionals, there are no windows boxes in pair I suspect, not even in their tech support section. All servers are dual processor, all use external mysql servers, all have nightly backups, I could go on but I won't
vkaryl
Reply Quote
Thanks - I'll check them out. I don't know if I'll be able to justify to husband that much a year just to run message boards! If I were still working, or if I were making a LOT of money somehow.... but I'm not and I'm not.

I'll definitely take a look, and thanks for the recommends. I'll check out mediatemple as well. Do you know anything, bad or good, about Power House Hosting? They come well recommended by a couple of other folks I asked about this....
techAdmin
Reply Quote
No, haven't heard a thing. But I can tell you we've been moving sites around for a client the last 2 months, and I've been dealing firsthand with hosters that 'are supposed to be good', and let me tell you, they all suck in one way or another, only pair has it down.

It's really not that much cash difference, if you sign up for the advanced account, and pay yearly, it's $13.50 a month, that's only about $5 more than you were paying. I've done a lot of research lately on hosting, and I can tell you that it is not possible to offer reliable hosting, servers, parallel data trunk lines, run by competent tech support people/network admins for less than what pair charges. They simply don't pretend that it is possible. This makes them somewhat unique in the hosting world.

I see people recommend hosters all the time, but every time I look into them, there's something wrong.

Also, a single advanced account allows you to host as many sites as you want for $1 extra a month, that's separate IP, etc. The only limitation again would be on the total mysql connections made simultaneously for all the accounts.

You can usually get the setup fee waved if you are transferring from another hoster by the way.