Page: Previous  1, 2

mike
Reply Quote
:: jeffd wrote ::
This site has the basic information, note the authors by the way, Rasmus Lerdorf, guy who makes PHP is one of them.

:: Quote ::
For the first and most common form, you need three things: PHP itself, a web server and a web browser. You probably already have a web browser, and depending on your operating system setup, you may also have a web server (eg. Apache on Linux or IIS on Windows). You may also rent webspace at a company. This way, you don't need to set up anything on your own, only write your PHP scripts, upload it to the server you rent, and see the results in your browser.

While setting up the server and PHP on your own, you have two choices for the method of connecting PHP to the server. For many servers PHP has a direct module interface (also called SAPI). These servers include Apache, Microsoft Internet Information Server, Netscape and iPlanet servers. Many other servers have support for ISAPI, the Microsoft module interface (OmniHTTPd for example). If PHP has no module support for your web server, you can always use it as a CGI processor. This means you set up your server to use the command line executable of PHP (php.exe on Windows) to process all PHP file requests on the server.

Don't ever use the PHP cgi for windows, that's not meant for production use, it's not really meant for anything, don't use it, install the real SAPI module.

I think I see where you're going with this, you'd need root access to the server in this case. Don't know about telling IIS what language to use to run pages, but it's a good idea in general, what they don't know can't hurt them, LOL.

yikes, kinda sounds like chinese to me. The problem is damn virtual hosting. I'll call the hosting company in the morning. I'll cross my fingers that I get someone who knows what they're doing.
mike
Reply Quote
maybe u misunderstood. php is installed already on the server. I can already run things, they just have to have the .php extension. Can I just use the same command I mentioned before in the .htaccess?
jeffd
Reply Quote
IIS doesn't have an .htaccess file, it doesn't have mod_rewrite, it's cripple ware as far as I'm concerned. If php is installed on the server you have to figure out how to duplicate that single line in .htaccess. If the site is already running asp, I wouldn't try to get php running too, it's a recipe for disaster.
mike
Reply Quote
Well it's on a shared server which has both enabled. I'd say it's a safe bet that at least one other person on the server is running at least one php script. the php isn't accessing any database so I don't see what the difference would be to use a php script. I don't see how it would effect any asp stuff, because all of the asp files have asp extensions. so none of that would go through the php parser.

Unless you know something that I don't. Right now I'm just using a simple php script to generate a printer friendly page. And I wanted to use php includes, but I just can't figure out how to get it set up.

If I can do anything in php, I think it would be very beneficial. Reason being, within the next year I'm hoping to convince my employer to move over to an apache/linux server. Therefore, any asp stuff I did would then be completely useless.
jeffd
Reply Quote
Here's one way, requires root access to the server though, which you probably don't have. There's a reason IIS is losing market share currently, and that's one of them.

Re: .net, that's really just MS's implementation of java, they hated sun, so they wrote their own system. Since almost nobody uses .net if they're not on a Windows box, the whole thing about cross platform is kind of a joke.

But note the real key here: .net is kind of like frontpage, it's a development environment. If you've dealt with frontpage, or even dreamweaver, you probably have a good idea of just how limiting that is for real work. What MS really wants is for all your development to get locked into windows and IIS, then it's simply too hard to extract yourself, that's totally consistent across everything MS does, they want the world running on MS products, and only MS products. That's why they consistently oppose open standards for anything, that's well documented, read the halloween stuff that's listed in the Linux library section on this site.
mike
Reply Quote
Yea, I'm going to call the host tomorrow and see what if anything they can do.

btw, check your messages.
Page: Previous  1, 2