Mad Penguin :: Focus on Security :: Network Security
techAdmin
Reply Quote
Madpenguin.org has an good article on security.

:: Quote ::
Aside from hardware failure, the operating system you choose to use on your system plays a large part in how secure your organization actually is. For instance, running Microsoft Windows on workstations or even worse, servers, can be likened to driving to the Grand Canyon, positioning yourself exactly three feet past the edge of cliff, and praying you don't fall to your death on the ground below. Is it the OS itself in this situation that's at fault? Maybe, but I think most of the blame can be placed on Microsoft's careless attitude toward system security....

Although our staff and readers promote the usage of Linux on servers as well as desktops, it's also susceptible to breach and nobody can deny that, but let me assure you that it's far more secure than Windows.

The article also has some good tips on data backup, especially network attached storage by SnapAppliance. That's not a bad solution if you can afford it, although honestly it's a lot cheaper to just build a box as a fileserver, with dual raid mobo, although it won't be a slick rackmountable product like Snap's upper end product line is.

Anyway, more security stuff, worth the time to spend reading it. Some might consider these attacks from a security standpoint as biased, but ask any quality network admin about windows security and they'll roll their eyes, wishing they could migrate to full non-windows. The real problem is applications, Windows due to its dominance simply has a lot more slick consumer ready apps. This is changing, but it hasn't changed yet. But on the server end of things there is increasingly less excuse that really holds up, barring a few specialized applications like Active Directory and so on.