Updating phpBB:: visual confirmation system to registration
techAdmin
Reply Quote
This thread has more on what you'll need to do to update your phpBB install for support of visual confirmation system to registration.

This type of thing is getting more important now that automated forum signups are getting to be a popular way to do link building for scumbag SEO types. However, this stops most automated signups.

Great job by phpBB group to add this feature in 2.0.11 as a standard admin configuration board option.

The main thing you need to change if you've already updated your phpbb to 2.0.11 and you aren't seeing the image when you do a test login. It's on top of the page by the way, by the user name and password entry fields, if you don't see it, you'll need to do this, assuming you have updated to 2.0.11 first of all. Find this line in:
/templates/yourtemplate/profile_add_body.tpl

Add after this:
:: Code ::
<tr>
     <td class="row1"><span class="gen">{L_CONFIRM_PASSWORD}: * </span><br>
      <span class="gensmall">{L_PASSWORD_CONFIRM_IF_CHANGED}</span></td>
     <td class="row2">
      <input type="password" class="post" style="width: 200px" name="password_confirm" size="25" maxlength="32" value="{PASSWORD_CONFIRM}">
     </td>
   </tr>

This extra row of code:
<!-- Visual Confirmation -->
   <!-- BEGIN switch_confirm -->
   <tr>
      <td class="row1" colspan="2" align="center"><span             class="gensmall">{L_CONFIRM_CODE_IMPAIRED}</span><br><br>{CONFIRM_IMG}<br><br></td>
   </tr>
   <tr>
     <td class="row1"><span class="gen">{L_CONFIRM_CODE}: *            </span><br><span class="gensmall">{L_CONFIRM_CODE_EXPLAIN}</span></td>
     <td class="row2"><input type="text" class="post" style="width: 200px" name="confirm_code" size="6" maxlength="6" value=""></td>
   </tr>
   <!-- END switch_confirm -->

vkaryl
Reply Quote
Ah ha. I knew it was missing, but didn't know how to fix it. Thanks.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
Oh, I found a serious problem with this mod, it's inserting your email address in this field:
{L_CONFIRM_CODE_IMPAIRED}

in hardcoded HTML, that's a big no no, a big mistake for PHPBB, who usually are very good about keeping the email addresses unpublished for email harvesting spiders.
Replace above with this code:
{L_CONFIRM_CODE}

until we figure out a more elegant solution to this big problem. One day of exposure on the web can permanently ruin your protected email address, don't take the chance.
vkaryl
Reply Quote
Heh. See, I'm so lazy I hadn't done a thing yet! Good job, vkaryl, sometimes sloth is AMAZINGLY perspicacious of you!