Good article explaining BitTorrent
jeffd
Reply Quote
I'd been wondering about this stuff, heard about it but never checked into it. Here's a good article, on the theregister.com
:: Quote ::
BitTorrent [5] in itself is only a file-downloading protocol. In BitTorrent, files are split up into chunks (on the order of a thousand per file), and the downloaders of a file barter for chunks of it by uploading and downloading them in a tit-for-tat-like manner to prevent parasitic behavior. Each peer is responsible for maximizing its own download rate by contacting suitable peers, and peers with high upload rates will with high probability also be able to download with high speeds. When a peer has finished downloading a file, it may become a seed by staying online for a while and sharing the file for free, i.e., without bartering.

This is a pretty interesting idea. It's what I've been suspecting search engines need to do eventually, once the geeks in charge learn that humans are always smarter than their tools, start doing human review, it's the only way to really filter garbage:
:: Quote ::
New content is injected into BitTorrent by uploading a .torrent file to the Suprnova website and creating a seed with the first copy of the file. In order to reduce the pollution level, new content is first manually inspected by moderators, who weed out fake content, content with low perceptual quality, and content with incorrect naming. A normal user who injects content is called a moderated submitter. To lower the burden on the moderators, a user who frequently injects correct content is promoted to the rank of unmoderated submitter, and is allowed to directly add content. Unmoderated submitters can request a promotion to moderator status to existing moderators....

....We have shown that only 20 moderators combined with numerous other volunteers solve the fake-file problem on BitTorrent/Suprnova