Liquorix On Stable Apt Distributions
stevenpusser
Reply Quote
OK--let me set up packages in that OBS repo that will build and depend on gcc-5 for the Ubuntu versions that have that as the default. Also, because of the way the OBS creates the instructions page, I have to have it provide it a package name that is architecture-independent, so for Jessie I just added the kernels to an existing backports repo I had set up for codelite, since all the Liquorix package names are arch-dependent. Adding the codelite repo also brought in the Liquorix packages to apt.

Maybe I can just add a dummy "linux-image-liquorix" package to work around that...should I have it depend on the kernel metapackages? Maybe not, that could mess things up easily.
stevenpusser
Reply Quote
I've been doing work on the OBS repo, and added a dummy "liquorix" package to make adding the repo easier. Users should understand that currently adding the "liquorix" package does nothing, they will still have to install the kernel metapackages or just the real packages, but maybe later I can add some dependencies to it. I have Liquorix 4.13-2 built on the native gcc version for the various releases, such as the -gcc6 version for Stretch and Zesty, plus some older kernels going back to 4.9 also building on Ubuntus that also still have gcc-4.9, since that just involves clicking some radio buttons, and I don't have time now to set up native gcc builds for those Ubuntus for older kernels. Those builds should still run on top of the newer gcc 5 and 6, if the user wants to use an older kernel.

I also have yet to test if any non-free driver dkms builds are broken by the 4.13 kernel, and see if I can find patches and add those to my repo for Debian. Ubuntu packages are built and named differently from Debian's, and I don't know much about them, but if anyone finds a PPA or upstream Ubuntu with ones that are fixed for the new kernel, I'll add them.

Overview of the repo:
build.opensuse.org/project/show/home:stevenpusser:codelite

Auto-generated instructions to add it and the key:
software.opensuse.org/download.html?project=home%3Astevenpusser%3Acodelite&package=liquorix
ilu
Reply Quote
How's the status? Should we start using this? I'm on debian stable, kernel 4.12.0-14.3-liquorix-amd64. The 4.13 kernel headers wouldn't install with some cryptic error:

"The following packages have unmet dependencies:
linux-headers-liquorix-amd64 : Depends: linux-headers-4.13.0-7.2-liquorix-amd64 (= 4.13-2) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages."

Now 4.14 kernel-headers say they need gcc-7 (which was probably already the case with liquorix 4.13).
stevenpusser
Reply Quote
Yes, if you want to use the headers on Debian Stretch, you'll have to use the backports in the OBS--those only need the gcc version that's in Stretch. If you want to install the Nvidia proprietary drivers, you'll also need to use the version of those in the Debian stretch-backports repo---though I just added those to my repo, too--since the standard 375.82 in Stretch will fail on a 4.14 kernel.

Currently wrestling with getting that driver backported for Jessie in the OBS, too.