Can't install kernel (unmet dependencies)
parasit
Reply Quote
Hi.
try to install this kernel on linux mint 18.2 but some gone wrong ((

sudo apt-get install linux-image-liquorix-amd64 linux-headers-liquorix-amd64
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
linux-headers-liquorix-amd64 : Depends: linux-headers-4.12.0-13.1-liquorix-amd64 (= 4.12-8) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/liquorix.list
deb liquorix.net/debian sid main
deb-src liquorix.net/debian sid main

cat /etc/debian_version
stretch/sid

cat /etc/linuxmint/info
RELEASE=18.2
CODENAME=sonya
EDITION="Cinnamon 64-bit"
DESCRIPTION="Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya"
DESKTOP=Gnome
TOOLKIT=GTK
NEW_FEATURES_URL=http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_sonya_cinnamon_whatsnew.php
RELEASE_NOTES_URL=http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_sonya_cinnamon.php
USER_GUIDE_URL=help:linuxmint
GRUB_TITLE=Linux Mint 18.2 Cinnamon 64-bit
techAdmin
Reply Quote
You can't install a kernel with dependencies from current ubuntu or debian testing/sid, in this case, probably gcc.

Mint uses frozen package pools, this is not a liquorix issue, it's a mint/user issue.
damentz
Reply Quote
techAdmin is correct. See my post on techpatterns.com/forums/about1212.html

:: Quote ::
As techAdmin has recommended, do not use Linux Mint with Liquorix. Per the issue you described, unresolvable dependency issues will happen on mint due to the way they freeze their packages. If you want stability, I'd recommend installing the latest non-LTS (unless LTS is the latest) Ubuntu and keep it up to date with every major 6 month update. I always make sure Liquorix works with the latest Ubuntu since it's very similar to Debian Sid / Testing and a convenient alternative.

stevenpusser
Reply Quote
If Mint 18.2 is based on Ubuntu 16.04 and uses gcc-5, I could do a gcc-5 version in the openSUSE build service. However, the gcc-4.9 Jessie build I currently do in the OBS should also install and run in Mint 18.2, since it still also has gcc-4.9. Maybe it won't be as highly optimized as the versions built with the newer compilers, though.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
stevenpusser, my apologies for always forgetting this option you maintain.

We should probably do a sticky post on it or something, i always forget it, and you always have to remind us, lol.

In fact, why don't you make a post, a new thread, that describes this kernel, and how to install it, and what it supports, roughly, and I'll pin it, as long as damentz has no objections. Also make sure to explain that it is not damentz who supports it, it's a user contributed option.

This is certainly an issue that will probably always come up, so it would help to just have a post to link to that is somewhat complete and authoritative on how to install, which repos, what requirements for system are, etc.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
techpatterns.com/forums/post-12747.html Steve Pusser, please edit your posts in that thread to better indicate what the purpose of the packaging etc is.
stevenpusser
Reply Quote
OK--kind of have a lot of pots boiling now, what with also trying to get Pale Moon browser built on the OBS for Ubuntu 17.10 on gcc-4.9 like the developers want me to, and Ubuntu went and dropped that gcc. Also helping with the development of MX 17. I also discovered that the current ndiswrapper release won't build on 4.13, but it was fixed in github so I cherry-picked the patch and will add that ndiswrapper to my repo for Debian at least. Ubuntu has different names for many of these type packages and I'm leery of colliding packages there.

I'll sit down tomorrow and write a organized description and instructions for adding the various repositories for the kernel.