Zorin 12 Liqourix install
NZ
Reply Quote
Hi,

New to the forum so here goes.

Installing the kernel on zorin 12 os would be the same as the instructions on the main liquorix page?.

I searched and have noted no threads on zorin installs which makes me nervous.

Any heads ups would be great.

Thanks
techAdmin
Reply Quote
distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=zorin

The habit of pretending that a respin of Ubuntu is somehow a different 'OS' is kind of absurd.

So no, it doesn't matter what your ubuntu respin is called, what does matter is which version of ubuntu the respin is based on.

I believe Liquorix is developed to run only on current releases of Debian Testing/Sid, and current Ubuntu. So you'll hit some dependency issues if you try running liquorix on older releases once the gcc versions have diverged.

So you can simplify the question: learn the actual ubuntu version your respin is based on, then ask if that is supported.
NZ
Reply Quote
Hi,

I realise zorin is a ubuntu spinoff... But asking the questions just incase is ok.

thanks
techAdmin
Reply Quote
First of all, all you have to do is try. Second, a spinoff is just a rewrapping of some packages, it's impossible for anyone to know all the variants, so it really does not matter in the slightest what your particular selection of ubuntu packages has been named,all that matters is the actual packages installed.

Users of spinoffs often believe they are running a different os, they aren't, it's just a few packages that maybe are made by the spinoff group, a few cosmetic tweaks, and a certain selection of packages.

So really you can skip the entire thing about the name of your set of ubuntu packages and move right to what ubuntu version is being used to make your spinoff distro. If you ask about that, you will get an answer right away, if you don't give that information, it's not realistic to think that anyone has specific experience with your spinoff, nor does it matter in the slightest if they do or don't.

For example, if you take xubuntu or lubuntu or kubuntu, none of these matter in the slightest when it comes to the kernel they run, the only thing that matters is what ubuntu pool they have been constructed from, that tells you what gcc was available in that pool, which then tells you if the liquorix kernel is installable. Note that other common kernel modules like nvidia would also of course depend on the kernel version, you can't that is in general use a distro packaged nvidia driver that is made to fit their distro kernel then expect a later kernel, say from liquorix, to work.

But none of these things have anything to do with the label attached to your set of ubuntu packages, what matter is the ubuntu pool that is being used.

Note that despite my asking what ubuntu pool you are in fact using, you didn't give that information, which means your question cannot be answered.