Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

chunker
Reply Quote
Just came to say that I am experiencing this as well in kde neon, here is my inxi -b output (I've switched to another kernel for now):

:: Code ::

System:    Host: hyperion Kernel: 4.9.0-330-mub x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.10.2
           Distro: neon 16.04 xenial
Machine:   System: Hewlett-Packard (portable) product: HP EliteBook 8570w v: A1029D1102
           Mobo: Hewlett-Packard model: 176B v: KBC Version 50.1B
           Bios: Hewlett-Packard v: 68IAV Ver. F.41 date: 05/20/2013
CPU:       Quad core Intel Core i7-3720QM (-HT-MCP-) speed/max: 1256/3600 MHz
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GK107GLM [Quadro K2000M]
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: nvidia (unloaded: fbdev,vesa,nouveau)
           Resolution: 1920x1080@59.98hz
           GLX Renderer: Quadro K2000M/PCIe/SSE2 GLX Version: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 381.22
Network:   Card-1: Intel 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection driver: e1000e
           Card-2: Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 driver: iwlwifi
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1000.2GB (52.3% used)
Info:      Processes: 306 Uptime: 2:41 Memory: 4342.3/11947.4MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.2.35

andoru
Reply Quote
Leaving my inxi -b output as well, just in case it helps...

System:    Host: flying-topsoil Kernel: 4.11.0-trunk-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit)
           Desktop: Openbox 3.6.1 Distro: Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch)
Machine:   Device: desktop Mobo: MSI model: B85-G41 PC Mate(MS-7850) v: 1.0
           BIOS: American Megatrends v: V2.9 date: 03/30/2015
CPU:       Quad core Intel Core i5-4460 (-MCP-) speed/max: 1353/3400 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller
           Display Server: X.Org 1.19.3 driver: intel
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Haswell Desktop
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 13.0.6
Network:   Card: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           driver: r8169
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 2120.4GB (81.5% used)
Info:      Processes: 186 Uptime: 2 days Memory: 3147.1/7661.9MB
           Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.11

wildstar84
Reply Quote
Sure, no prob:

inxi -b

System:    Host: wildstar Kernel: 4.9.0-17.1-liquorix-686-pae i686 (32 bit)
           Desktop: N/A Distro: antiX-13.2_386-full Luddite 4 November 2013
Machine:   Device: laptop System: Hewlett-Packard product: HP EliteBook 8440p
           Mobo: Hewlett-Packard model: 172A v: KBC Version 30.31
           BIOS: Hewlett-Packard v: 68CCU Ver. F.11 date: 11/25/2010
Battery    BAT0: charge: 25.4 Wh 96.0% condition: 26.5/26.5 Wh (100%)
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i5 M 520 (-HT-MCP-) speed/max: 1199/2400 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller
           Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Ironlake Mobile x86/MMX/SSE2
           GLX Version: 2.1
Network:   Card-1: Intel 82577LM Gigabit Network Connection driver: e1000e
           Card-2: Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6200
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1000.2GB (21.2% used)
Info:      Processes: 152 Uptime: 3 days Memory: 1060.5/7891.3MB
           Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.21

< Edited by wildstar84 :: Jun 23, 17, 9:55 >

techAdmin
Reply Quote
wildstar84, I've been looking for someone with this inxi output, there's I believe a bug that I can probably fix if you will run the:
inxi -xx@14

debugger option, which will show me where these errors are coming from. Particularly the glx version number being wrong.

If you run that, I should have a corrected inxi up in very little time.

this is not related to the kernel issue, but I have seen this glitch online a few times but have been unable to get the debugger data to track it down.

Also, if you ran inxi in x, what desktop were you using? that's also showing N/A which it shouldn't be doing, it should have either fallen back to showing console size, or something concrete.
damentz
Reply Quote
@wildstar84

I have a few points after seeing your inxi output.

1) Have you tried running a 64-bit system? The 32-bit code is less tested now-a-days by the kernel developers. You'll get better support in general by running 64-bit since 32-bit is only looked at if there's a bug report.

2) Have you tried updating your BIOS? I checked HP's site and their latest BIOS update for your laptop model is for 2015. The earliest they distribute is 2011. The version from inxi output says your BIOS is from 2010, so probably the stock version that came with the laptop.

support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-elitebook-8440p-notebook-pc/4095872

3) Since HP generally doesn't support Linux on their laptops (especially that version, there's no OTHER section on their download page), you can try investigating the DSDT of your BIOS and tricking it into thinking you're booting with Windows 7. That might unlock some other quirks that helps your suspend features work more correctly.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
wildstar84, thanks for the debugger data, fixed the bug (issue was how bash handles empty array keys when IFS is \n) and changed a few things too.

also added your AfterLife window manager, and Sawfish.

these fixes are in inxi 2.3.22
wildstar84
Reply Quote
@techAdmin: 1) I did NOT appreciate that command sending YOU (or anyone else) who knows WHAT ALL (looks like a TON of) DATA a/b MY system, even if it is a test box WITHOUT me KNOWING AND AFFIRMING that that's what it was going to do - for all I know, I've just been PHISHED!!! (SHAME on you; and shame on ME for NOT researching the command BEFORE running - it was late & I thought , having run inxi before, it was pretty innocuous and would just display more detail) Sry, but these days, one can't be too paranoid a/b stuff that sends one's data to someone else, especially without my prior knowledge as to what and to whom it is going to be SENT! I would've rather looked at the data it generated BEFORE sending it to the interwebs! Glad it fixed whatever your "bug" was, now DELETE it! 2) The windowmanager is Afterstep.

@damentz: 1) Sry, but no, I have not tried 64 bit. I installed 32 bit when the box had 4gig. I upgraded to 8 and researched how to install 64bit. It seemed like I would have to do a full reinstall so I ended up upgrading to 32bit PAE. I use a very CUSTOMIZED rolling release and it would take several days to, after a reinstall, to get everything back to working properly! If you know of a safe way to upgrade to 64bit WITHOUT having to wipe and reinstall, I'm all ears! 2) No, I researched BIOS upgrading too and the consensus was that, unless one was having specific BIOS-related problems, it generally wasn't worth the risk. I've had no bios-related issues so far. The steps I found to flash this machine's bios also seem ambiguous (and I just had a power outage last nite whilst writing up this reply, hince my delayed response)! 3) Suspend / hibernate work fine on this machine (Until Liquorix 4.10.x). This also introduced the exact same failure on my other box, a completely different brand, so highly doubt it's BIOS-related.

I'm enclosing the inix-b for the OTHER machine here too for your convenience. I also think I can narrow it down to your recent tweaks, since I tried distro kernel 4.10.5 without suspend issues.

System:    Host: integra Kernel: 4.10.5-antix.1-486-smp i686 (32 bit)
           Desktop: N/A Distro: antiX-13.2_386-full Luddite 4 November 2013
Machine:   Device: portable System: Dell product: Inspiron 1564 v: A04
           Mobo: Dell model: 08CNC9 v: A04 BIOS: Dell v: A04 date: 01/17/2010
Battery    BAT0: charge: 3.2 Wh 99.2% condition: 3.2/4.4 Wh (73%)
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i3 M 330 (-HT-MCP-) speed/max: 1066/2133 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller
           Resolution: 1366x768@59.64hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Ironlake Mobile x86/MMX/SSE2
           GLX Version: 2.1
Network:   Card-1: Broadcom Limited BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY
           driver: b43-pci-bridge
           Card-2: Realtek RTL8101/2/6E PCI Express Fast/Gigabit Ethernet controller
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 250.1GB (15.3% used)
Info:      Processes: 146 Uptime: 17 min Memory: 101.4/2893.0MB
           Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.21

Thanks for your hard work on Liquorix though!
techAdmin
Reply Quote
didn't mean to cause any concern, that data has been deleted. Sending however debugging data to a trusted source is not one of the bigger risks you're taking on the internet (phishing per se is technically sending data to an untrusted source that is masquerading as a trusted source, quite a different activity altogether), I'd trust myself over the nsa or cia or android or google or facebook or mobile network operators any day of the week. Or ISPs, UEFI, etc, the list sadly grows longer by the day and by the release of ever more leaked stuff....
damentz
Reply Quote
@wildstar84

Regarding reinstalling, you generally want to preserve your /etc/ and /home/ folder content. Then, you want to reinstall with a 64-bit OS and assuming you're using Debian / Ubuntu, use the guide here: wiki.debian.org/ListInstalledPackages

Once done reinstalling, write back over your /etc/ and /home/ content as needed.

And regarding your BIOS update, your vendor may not always reveal all the changes in their BIOS updates. The old adage of, only update your BIOS if you need to, is not necessarily true. I think that got spread around because people borked their motherboards back in the day running commands incorrectly on their systems. Current day BIOS updates are relatively painless and are usually cross platform (just need a fat16/32 stick original formatted with FreeDOS, usually).

Just recently, Intel released a security advisory about their Intel Management Engine and that you need to update your BIOS immediately. If you read the changelogs and only read about a security fix, would you update? As far as you know, your PC is working fine and will continue to do so.

Either way, without updating your BIOS, we can't rule it out. Especially on a laptop that's no longer in support, there's no reason to be on the first BIOS edition ever released running a modern operating system. That's asking for trouble with the myriad of power features your laptop supports.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
It's nice when or if bios updates go smoothly, but just as a counterpoint, the last time I tried one, the laptop got bricked.

depends on how good the updater is, if it's one done via usb I'd tend to trust it more than other types.

now, if laptop vendors would start to guarantee their bios updaters by offering replacements on failure, I'd probably do them more.

workaround.org/article/updating-the-bios-on-lenovo-laptops-from-linux-using-a-usb-flash-stick/

This for example is what is required to do that on a Lenovo laptop, each brand / model may vary slightly, so make sure to read up on it before starting, or you may end up with a brick.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next