[SOLVED] WiFi package compile error after LXDE upgrade to kernel 4.9
scdas141
Reply Quote
Hi every1..

My WiFi won't work after LXDE upgrade to kernel 4.9..

I have a TP-LINK TL-WN823N wifi adapter based on the Realtek RTL8192EU chipset.. linux drivers for which have been havoc to find.. Finally I found a perfectly working repo on Github located at:

[new user link]

Previously the wifi driver package for my wifi adapter, based on the RTL8192EU chipset compiled and worked flawlessly after every kernel upgrade.. But after the upgrade to kernel 4.9.x, the "make && make install" for the same package have created errors which I post as screens below.. pardon me for not using code as I have recorded them only as screenshots..

Compile_Error 1:

Compile_Error 2:

My system info:

Kernel: Liquorix 4.8.0-15.1-amd64
Desktop: Openbox

inxi -bxx output:

:: Code ::

oot@ik--pc:/home/ik# inxi -bxx
System:    Host: ik--pc Kernel: 4.8.0-15.1-liquorix-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.1)
           Desktop: LXDE (Openbox 3.6.1) dm: lightdm
           Distro: SparkyLinux Tyche
Machine:   Device: desktop Mobo: ECS model: G31T-M v: 1.0 serial: 00000000
           BIOS: American Megatrends v: 080014 date: 02/25/2010
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core2 Duo E8400 (-MCP-) speed/max: 2670/3003 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel 82G33/G31 Express Integrated Graphics Controller
           bus-ID: 00:02.0 chip-ID: 8086:29c2
           Display Server: X.org 1.19.0 drivers: intel (unloaded: modesetting,fbdev,vesa)
           tty size: 80x24 Advanced Data: N/A for root
Network:   Card: Realtek RTL8101/2/6E PCI Express Fast/Gigabit Ethernet controller
           driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: e800
           bus-ID: 01:00.0 chip-ID: 10ec:8136
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 670.2GB (3.2% used)
Info:      Processes: 186 Uptime: 1:27 Memory: 879.2/3945.3MB
           Init: systemd v: 232 runlevel: 5 default: 2 Gcc sys: 6.2.1 alt: 5
           Client: Shell (bash 4.4.51 running in x-terminal-emul) inxi: 2.3.5

Any help will be appreciated..

< Edited by scdas141 :: Jan 29, 17, 9:43 >

damentz
Reply Quote
Hi scdas141,

It looks like you have a wireless adapter with very poor compatibility with linux. Just looking around, online, no one has bothered trying to get it working with 4.9 and D-Link has abandoned maintenance on their out of tree driver.

In general, the level of support this card has is how broadcom used to be, breaking after every kernel update. Unfortunately, my best recommendation unless you want to maintain the code base is to purchase a wireless card that works without a fuss on Linux. Specifically, any of the recent intel wireless cards (7260, 8260), plus a mini pci-e to pci-e card adapter should do the trick on your system. Recent broadcom cards work as well, but not all distributions carry the DKMS compatible driver on their livecd's, making new installations without wired internet impossible.
Thanks damentz..
scdas141
Reply Quote
:: damentz wrote ::
Hi scdas141,

It looks like you have a wireless adapter with very poor compatibility with linux. Just looking around, online, no one has bothered trying to get it working with 4.9 and D-Link has abandoned maintenance on their out of tree driver.

In general, the level of support this card has is how broadcom used to be, breaking after every kernel update. Unfortunately, my best recommendation unless you want to maintain the code base is to purchase a wireless card that works without a fuss on Linux. Specifically, any of the recent intel wireless cards (7260, 8260), plus a mini pci-e to pci-e card adapter should do the trick on your system. Recent broadcom cards work as well, but not all distributions carry the DKMS compatible driver on their livecd's, making new installations without wired internet impossible.

Thanks damentz, but i was looking for a way to make my current config workable..

but thanks anyways..
Ok guys, I have managed to find a solution..
scdas141
Reply Quote
:: damentz wrote ::
Hi scdas141,

Ok guys, I have managed to find a solution..

I have managed to find a solution, thanks to thamer https://github.com/thamer from Github..

https://github.com/Mange/rtl8192eu-linux-driver/issues/18

Actually this is a driver issue.. The 4.9.x kernel for some reason is unable to use the correct 8192eu driver.. instead it is using the rtl8xxxu driver..

If you run "lshw -c network" from a root terminal, you can clearly see it is using a different 81xx driver (below in RED):

So to solve this:

A.

Open "etc/modules" from a file manager (Nautilus, PcManfm, etc..) as root..

The "modules" file just contains a single entry "loop".. Add an entry "8192eu" before the loop as shown below:

What this does is manually pre-loads the 8192eu module during boot..

B.

Recompile the driver using "make && make install" from a root terminal and reboot..

Viola!! You'll have the driver working again.. I have checked this multiple times and have been satisfied this works every time..

C.

Actually, I have put together a tutorial for new users or people looking for detailed information on how to compile the Github driver..

https://scdas141.wordpress.com/2017/01/28/how-to-compile-mangertl8192eu-linux-driver-driver/

https://scdas141.wordpress.com/2017/01/28/how-to-compile-mangertl8192eu-linux-driver-driver/
stevenpusser
Reply Quote
Has anyone tested to see if the new kernel module works with the device at all, such as unloading both modules and then reloading just the rtl8xxxu? If that one is not working, I also would wonder if blacklisting it could solve the problem.