(SOLVED) The latest kernel 4.9.x does not support AUFS
Frannnoe
Reply Quote
Hello first of all, thank you very much for the great work. I used Liquorix for a long time to create my distribution. So far everything was fine, but the latest Kernel 4.9.x are being released without AUFS support.
Kernel 4.8.x and earlier work perfectly
Thanks

< Edited by Frannnoe :: Feb 14, 17, 8:03 >

damentz
Reply Quote
Hi Frannnoe,

With Docker becoming more popular, it appears that a replacement for AUFS had been in the works and is already upstream as OverlayFS as of 3.18. I spoke with Heftig and we decided to drop it for kernel v4.9 because it was already difficult to maintain (the maintainer uses very annoying spaghetti merges making it impossible to merge the latest changes without significant manual effort).

Is there something specific you're using that doesn't make it possible to switch over to overlayfs?

And it could also be that there's a feature in AUFS that's irreplaceable, but I'm currently not aware of what that might be, if any.
Frannnoe
Reply Quote
Thanks for the quick reply.
I will try OverlayFS.

Anyway it's strange that in Liquorix Major Features keep putting you have AUFS suppor:
- AUFS (Another Union File System) Support: Liquorix can be used on Live CD/DVD/USB where AUFS is required.

Thanks
damentz
Reply Quote
Ah, thanks for pointing that out. Removing AUFS was a recent change, I forgot to go back to the homepage and update it to reflect the current feature set.
Frannnoe
Reply Quote
Already solved. The truth is that Overlay support is much better.
As you can see here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/dmdc10il
I use Liquorix Kernels to develop my DMDc distribution.

Thank you so much for everything