Current status of intel_pstate support on Debian
julian_brooks
Reply Quote
Hello,

1st post, good to be here.

Been happily running Liquorix on Debian for several years now, on a Lenovo x61s for audio work, but have a new machine (Lenovo x230 i5).
Am going through installing and tweaking process, having forgot what a faff it is:).

My reading suggests that intel_pstate is the current preferred option for frequency scaling, and support for this method is now part of the Debian kernel.

Can I respectfully please ask why this isn't the case in Liquorix?

Cheers,

Julian
stevenpusser
Reply Quote
It's in the Debian changelog on your system for the Liquorix kernel:

:: Code ::
linux-liquorix (4.6-1) unstable; urgency=medium

* disable CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_STAT
  * disable CONFIG_X86_INTEL_PSTATE
   - regression: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=P-State-Possible-4.6-Regression

or this thread here: techpatterns.com/forums/about2569.html
julian_brooks
Reply Quote
Hi Steven,

THanks for the info.

I had searched the forum but hadn't seen this post.

Regards,

Julian
damentz
Reply Quote
Also, just in the last day, I updated the default scaling governor to 'schedutil'. In my personal testing, it more accurately sets the frequency (even on MuQSS), when using the dolphin emulator.

For example, if using ondemand, the CPU threshold is just low enough that ondemand won't scale the CPU frequency up, causing lower FPS on CPU intensive ROMs. On schedutil, the frequency scales properly ahead of time and some games perform about 20% or so better that are CPU bottlenecked.

Just my own experience, and since it improves performance correctly, it's the default for Liquorix.
julian_brooks
Reply Quote
Great, thanks for this.

Will checkout schedutil. Ondemand doesn't respond quick enough for RT audio processing and production, it's a lack of true flexibility that's meant I've previously just run 'performance'.

Cheers,

Julian