Change default save to path in Windows
jeffd
Reply Quote
This is how you change the default folder open path you get in those save or save as dialogue boxes in windows [from slipstick. This is a simple registry edit, you have to modify two registry entries. If you don't already know how to use the registry editor I recommend you not do this.
:: Quote ::
Registry
If you prefer the do-it-yourself approach, make a backup of the Registry (always take precautions when working with the Registry. Look for these values in the Windows Registry and change the data entry for each one to the folder you want to use:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\Personal

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders\Personal

Simply modify the save to location in each of the above and you should be all set.

These settings should take effect on your next reboot.

However, this won't change the default path that your outlook attachments use, which is My Documents. To change that path, you'll need to do this from techrepublic.com:

:: Quote ::
HKEY_CURRENT USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook\Options

3. Right-click on Options, choose New | String Value, type DefaultPath, and press [Enter].
4. Double-click the DefaultPath icon to open the Edit String dialog box.
5. In the Value Data text box, enter the path to the folder you want to use as your default for saving e-mails and attachments (Figure A).
6. Click OK and then close the Registry Editor.

How to change the default folder for inserting and saving attachments on Outlook 2007
jmelo
Reply Quote
This is now 9 years after Jeffd's original post, and I don't even know whether he is still around. The fact is that I am desperately wanting to change the folder from where Outlook 2007 (on a Windows 7 - 64bit PC) inserts an attachment onto a message and, likewise, the folder it offers to save an email attachment to. I have done all the suggested changes to the Registry, on all the keys mentioned on his message, but Outlook still reverts to offering me the last folder used for the previous attaching or saving files onto or from messages.

It is so annoying and time-wasting to have to do lots of clickings to go to a general folder tree, when Outlook defaults to the last used sub-folder.
Is this a Windows 7 bug, rather than an Outlook 2007 stupidity? Does anyone have any further suggestions?