Optimal setup for using liquorix kernel?
osp
Reply Quote
Hi,

I want to run liquorix kernel, but whenever I installed liquorix after some time it became obsolete and impossible to upgrade. So I want to reinstall my machine with liquorix in mind - what distro and what repos I should setup?

Should I install debian jessie and switch it to testing and add sid repos? Just how shoud I include liquorix repo to some distro, so it will stay upgradable and usable for longterm? (can someone post sources.list and preferences?)

I just want to keep my machine up-to-date via simple:
apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade

Thank you

P.S. if is possible to not use systemd that would be great ;)
damentz
Reply Quote
The best distro to run Liquorix with is siduction. That's Debian Sid with a ton of upgrade support, help, and emergency package fixes. Now, if you want something more stable, you can run Ubuntu or a spin of Ubuntu that follows the latest updates.

Since I follow Ubuntu on a separate laptop for work reasons, I always make sure that the latest version of Liquorix installs on the latest version of Ubuntu. This is all Ubuntu releases, not only LTS. Version 15.04, as of this time, is already incompatible with Liquorix and you need to upgrade your release to stay compatible.
osp
Reply Quote
Ok, thanks, I go with the ubuntu then. Hope they have something like fedup or it will be pain every six months or so do reinstall. Siduction scares me, that fear with every upgrade, that is not for me :)
osp
Reply Quote
Just out of curiosity I tried siduction xfce in virtualbox and I didn't find newer iso than "indiansummer" from 2014 at download site. So I installed it and after
:: Code ::
apt-get update
I did
:: Code ::
apt-get dist-upgrade
which resulted in "Processing was halted because there were too many errors"

Probably not a distro for masses
techAdmin
Reply Quote
Siduction hasn't updated their iso, which I assume has to mean that siduction is basically no longer active, which is too bad.

However, you don't need to use siduction to install debian sid, just install debian sid directly using the debian netinstall iso, and build it up from scratch.

I use smxi to do that, but it doesn't really matter how it's done.

Not as fast as doing a full configured iso install, but with debian, it's really just install once, update forever.

You can add siduction repos to get the siduction fix packages.

With debian sid, you can't really use an installer iso that is more than about 6 months old safely. 1 year is certainly the very upper limit, but that always has big breaks in the upgrades that are hard to fix.
damentz
Reply Quote
Ya, I'm actually surprised. Usually the siduction folks are a bit better at updating their ISOs. I suspect they haven't updated them because Debian is still in the middle of a big transition. But that doesn't matter, if you can't upgrade from their latest ISO then it's useless unless you're using it for rescue.

Also, a big disclaimer, Debian Sid is usually best left to users that are seasoned at dealing with package breakages. If you're not interested on checking up on upgrade warnings forum threads in order to get the absolute latest, it's best you try Debian Testing at most or track the latest version of Ubuntu.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
I'm surprised too, one thing with sidux was that they really had the iso builder down, it worked really well. A sid based distribution must release a new installer iso every max 4 months, 3 months is better, and 2 months better yet, because the upgrades get so big that any time you saved installing from iso is lost on the upgrades.

I wonder if the same thing that happened with arch has happened to siduction, between grub 2 and systemd, it actually turned out to be far harder to create a clean installer than it was before. I know arch basically doesn't even have an installer in any meaningful sense of the word anymore, or at least they didn't. By installer I mean something that you run, and which installs the distro to your system, and when it's done, you reboot. Pages of manual install steps that you have to do to get the install working is not an installer, it's a failure to create a working installer masquerading as success.

The last time I tried installing siduction it worked fine however, but that was a while ago. (update: no, that's wrong, that's selective memory, I think it was in June 2015, and in fact, it was really hard to install already then, with a lot of breaks and very complicated fixes required. Talk about memory selecting the good and forgetting the bad, lol).

To me any distro that is going to be rolling release based has to release install isos routinely, and have iso builders that largely automate the process, which is what sidux had.

The debian netinstall lets you pick debian version, stable, testing, sid, at least in the advanced mode of the installer it does. Then it grabs the packages from the repos and builds the system up. Hint: don't ever use the default desktops it installs, they are hugely bloated and contain basically all the packages of that desktop. But the netinstall requires some understanding of how this stuff works to use well, and itself has always been buggy.
stevepusser
Reply Quote
We've been backporting Jessie-compatible versions of the Liquorix kernel to the MX-15 Linux repositories and Debian Wheezy-compatible versions to the MEPIS 12 community repository for some time now, so don't give up hope. The most recent kernels will be found in the test repositories.

Jessie-based MX 15, by default, does not boot using systemd.

I'm pretty sure you can install the regular Liquorix linux-image packages on Jessie, but the linux-header packages are going to be the problem, since they now require gcc-5.

The Liquorix kernel does seem be one of the most popular backports we have, too.