Linux kernel 4.1 LTS
Brian49
Reply Quote
I notice that you have released updated patches for every upgrade to the 4.1 LTS kernel sources from 4.1.1 up to the latest, 4.1.12. Is it now your policy to continue providing such patches for every future 4.1 upgrade, please? I find the 4.1 kernel very congenial and would like to stay with it for as long as possible. Many thanks.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
techpatterns.com/forums/about2493.html

Read my response on that thread.

I doubt this will or has changed.

Remember, it's always very easy in free software to volunteer someone else to scratch your own itch, but for some reason, it's much harder to actually do the work you want someone else to do yourself.

In all previous liquorix releases, past, when it exists, is the previous major kernel version, ie, if liquorix stable is 4.2, then past is 4.1, and when liquorix rolls to 4.3, past becomes 4.2.

4.1 is just a coincidence that it also happens to be one of the lts linux kernels. lwn.net/Articles/662130/

compiling, testing, uploading, tracking, patching, testing patches, etc, this all takes time. It's not magic. Someone does the work, for free, except for donations (see liquorix.net/ for how to donate to the liquorix project).
Brian49
Reply Quote
I didn't ask anyone to do any extra work, I merely asked what the policy is. So I don't need any lectures about what I have to remember, thank you.
damentz
Reply Quote
h2 is correct here, the only reason I'm updating 4.1 right now is that updates are still being pushed to it. When 4.3 comes out, 4.2 will become the past kernel and 4.3 will go into main.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
Brian49, since you were posting in the thread I linked to, you appear here to not to want to have heard the response I gave there, and so started a new thread asking the very same question again, as if that would result in a different answer.

Thus, my comments. I would say in fact you do need to be reminded of this simple reality since it didn't register in your mind the first time you read it, since I assume it didn't correspond to your wishes. Hopefully this time it has. If not, I'll repeat it next time as well.

If you or anyone else reading this would like to start a LTR liquorix project, which is tedious, fairly unrewarding, requires a fair amount of testing, gcc compatibility awareness, builds, patches, patch debugging, etc, but might be of use to say, ubuntu LTR or debian stable users, then feel free to start that project. However, personally I recommend against it, because then you'd have to start getting feedback from LTR/Stable debian users who would want things to 'just work' for them too, and who would be partial to kernel x or y for various reasons, heh.

This stuff is actually quite valuable as a skillset, and you could then scratch your own itch. That's how damentz started, by the way, scratching his own itch.

It's unusual by the way to see this many past branch releases in liquorix for one kernel major version. But given 4.3 is coming soon, there probably won't be many more 4.1's.